Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baltimore Pool House Build

Re: Baltimore Pool House Build

Nice work! That looks great, it is exactly what my wife and I are thinking of doing. Just wondering though how you are dealing with the Drain/Vent/Sewage line? What are you tying into? Also did are you using a "point of use" hot water tank or did you bring both lines all the way in from the house? This looks like a great project that is going to add some real value to your home!

Cheers!
    Armyb77
    This is a nice vintage t-shirts

Armyb77, you caught me on the DVW! We're on septic, and my three tank system and field is significantly uphill from our pool area. Initial conversations surrounding tapping into that were into the high five figures, with all sorts of disruption around the pool area, a re-evaluation process by the county to assess our septic capacity, and at least one additional septic pump. I was not up for that and scrapped the notion of a bathroom for that reason. For the kitchenette, I will run the drain into a drywell behind the pool house (frankly, since it will be light use, a bucket would do, but takes too much space and has a tendency to overflow, of course).

For water, we ran cold water only from the house for the pool area. It is 1/2 inch Sched 40 pipe buried per code. Inside the equipment area, I convert that to 1/2 inch CPVC before it enters the pool house. I ran a loop to the back exterior of the pool house which will allow me to install a small tankless propane heater on the exterior, and feed hot water to the sink (and to a potential future outdoor shower). I'm looking at something like the following (though maybe not this particular brand or model):

http://www.energystead.com/eccotemp-...ter-heater-lp/

One of our biggest fears is that a project like this would be cost prohibitive to undergo. We honestly won't know until we get estimates on the sewer line, but we are also still 12 days from closing so in some ways I'm getting ahead of myself...laughs

If we are not able to at least get a half bath in though it just wouldn't be worth putting it in for us. We want to have a nice place for our guests and the kids to change, go to the bathroom, and dry cloths without tracking it all through the house. Our bathrooms in the home are not in the best location at least when you consider wet kids going to the bathroom from the pool.

Still overall I think you have a great project going and hopefully we can do something similar too. If I can keep the costs below $15K for the whole thing, it would be worth it. Of course that would be me doing all the work except for the rough plumb of the sewer line and I would also probably sub out the slab.

Make sure to take pics when it is completed!

Cheers!
    This is a nice vintage t-shirts

I apologize...I meant high FOUR figures....$8K was discussed to hook the pool house up to septic, and with lots of caveats. If it helps, here is my list of costs so far:

Materials for footings and decking (2x8 pressure treated Joists, plywood, galvanized hangers and hardware, concrete for footings, etc): $700
    Pool house shell (the only part I didn't do myself, 2x4 16 in oc studs, 2x6 rafters, shed dormer, house wrap, 15lb felt and architectural shingles, built on site): $3,800
    Modifications/additions to shell (frame in the equipment area, frame out the storage room and changing room): $400
    Electrical (wire, GFCI breakers, conduit, 8 outlets, 6 switches, 6 fixture boxes, NOT including fixtures themselves): $450
    Plumbing (CPVC and appropriate fittings): $120
    Drywall (18 4x8 sheets of greenboard, screws, mud, tape, corner bead): $225
    Paint (2 gals primer, 2 gals top coat, 1 gal pickling mix...I own a sprayer so no cost there): $150
    Ceiling (250 sq feet of 3/4 x 5-1/4 white pine): $240
    Entry Door (pre-hung 36" fiberglass entry door): $175

With moldings, light fixtures, interior door, cabinets, counters and other items, I have probably another $1500 to go. But, aside from the shell of the main structure, I have no labor costs, so that's very helpful.

This is great Bob! (I also followed your pool build thread on the gardenweb). I'm looking to do the pool and the poolhouse in this spring, one question for you, did you have to get the permits to put up the poolhouse and for all the work you did on the interior?
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy Aqualink with RS touch controlles || Jandy Watercolors LED || Hayward auto chlorinator.

Azmp1, Yes, permits are definitely required. In Harford County, for structures less than 200 sq feet, it's purely a formality...they don;t inspect the structure. I did a shed permit, but specifically noted its use as a pool house. Electrical and Plumbing are required as with any structure.

Haven't updated for a while, so I wanted to provide a few pictures of the tile I installed a few weeks ago.

Main area, 12x12 ceramic tile:

Showing the pebble floor in the changing room:

Detail of the changing room:

Thanks for the feedback Bob. Keep those updates coming!

Elite pools are coming in tomorrow, we'll see how it goes, so far I have not been impressed with a any of the gunite PB's, hopefully I will like them as you did. I may still go vinyl however, we'll see.
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy Aqualink with RS touch controlles || Jandy Watercolors LED || Hayward auto chlorinator.

Shots of the completed tile. We debated for a while, but ultimately chose a high-contrast grout. It is Polyblend's Snow White, if anyone is interested.

View through the front door:

View from Front Door:

View on the inside toward front door:

Changing room pebble floor (I've removed more of the grout since to expose more of the pebbles):

Looks great! High contrast was the to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BobinBaltimore
    Oh Ya - that looks like a Sam's Club Clorox bleach box! Seriously though, phenomenal work. My wife and I have been planning and this is very close to what we've been dreaming about, Great Job!

Really nice work - someday would like to add something like this to my pool area.

Marking more progress...a few hours here, a few hours there.

Got trim installed on the interior. Clear pine with the same pickling stain I used on the ceiling.

Kitchenette is installed, working on the details.

Detail of bar sink and counter.

And finally got the exterior trim painted on the front.

Got all the interior trim done today. I'll build the sliding door to the changing room in the spring. It will hang from a barn door-style apparatus I got earlier this year. So, aside from a thorough cleaning, gutters, a few touch-ups and minor items, we're done.

Kitchenette Window, with 8 inch deep sill for serving convenience.

Changing Room window:

Back Window:

Looking toward front door and changing room:

Side wall with cool effect from the indirect lighting:

Very Nice!! The whole building that is, craftsmanship, quality, everything!!!
    17.5K IG Pool with Spa spillover and fountain, Plaster Finish, Purex Triton CC420 Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo XF VS motor, Laars LX GasHeater, Polaris 360

Old thread, but I just had to say - WELL DONE!

Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

Thanks, R! I actually have been meaning to post final pictures. I did a sliding barn door for the changing room which is pretty neat. And I finally got gutters up, too! I'll post some pics soon.

Realized that I never posted pictures of the changing room door. I built a sliding door (using barn door slider hardware) out of pine, using the same pickling stain that I used for the ceiling and trim. Frosted tempered glass was added to the top after these photos were taken, for privacy.

Door in closed position, showing the same tongue-and-groove detail at the bottom as we have on the ceiling:
    [/URL]

Door in open position, slid to the side:
    [/URL]

Detail of door hardware:
    [/URL]oor3.jpg"/></a>