Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: useing my new test kit questions

1. Back To Top    #1

useing my new test kit questions

I brought a sample to local pool store. So I could check with my test kit to practice. They found, alkalinity 70 ph 7.8 calcium 240 chlorine 6.2 FC and total. copper .03 stabilizer 0 . I know the chlorine is high. My water was staying coudy so I shocked it again. I wounder how long it will take the sun use the FC so we can go in? Ted and I added some cya. But I had to backwash several times because the pressure getting getting too high. So Im sure I washed out the cya. The pool store says Ideal Chlorine is 1.0-1.5 I put some cya in a cotton sock out of drawer, and put that in the skimmer.
    I brought the alkalinty up to around 90 with some baking soda. And brought the ph down to around 7.3 with dry acid. When I do the total alkalinity test , I add a drop and swirl it around. Do I count the drops after I see a flash of red? or when the liquid stays red? Also I can't figure out how to test for br. I added mule team. About a little more than a full large box. If I have this right you add the same drops on the same yellow side Of the chlorine/ph plastic thing. If you have 2ppm of chlorine, you have 4ppm of bromine? filix
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: useing my new test kit questions

You aren't using bromine, so there is no reason to test for it.

I'm sure you added some CYA, just not enough to register on the test. You should add some more CYA, aiming to get your CYA level up to between 40 and 50.

On the TA test, you want to keep adding drops until it starts to turn red, then keep adding drops as long as the red doesn't hold for at least 15 seconds and as long as the color continues changing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think your best course of action is to go read Pool School. There's so much to cover, I'd be typing all night, and someone else has already done it in Pool School.

After reading it, decide if you want to treat your pool the pool store way or our way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thankyou Jason. Not useing bromine? Oh Dah! Ok, keep counting the drops until it turns red and doesn't turn back right away to green. Richard thats good advice. I read it twice. I'm just not good at retaining info. Teflon brain "nothing sticks" :P I have to keep at this, and go back read again while I'm doing it. Thankyou both. filix.
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

5. Back To Top    #5

I was confusing br with bromates. I dont think my kit will test for that filix

6. Back To Top    #6

Borates!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey Filix!

Don't sweat the borates at this point, as you just started using the 20 mule team Borax, you probably don't have enough in the water to register anyway. TFTestkits has the borate test strips, if you decide to get the SpeedStir just have Dave toss a bottle of borate strips in the box with it

I just want to point out a discrepancy between The Pool Store's test results and mine. On Wed. I got 90 for the alk - they report 70 - I can live with that, it's within the accuracy of +/- 10 and you added some acid. However, I got ~540 on the hardness and they show 240, one of us is way off and I'm sure I did the test correctly - I'm not sure that their tester is properly calibrated (maybe I'll slide on over there on Wed. with a sample from one of my pools and compare their results with what I test ) If you want to check the calcium discrepancy, use a 10 ml sample, add 10 drops of R0010, swirling, add 3 drops R0011, swirling until all the dye has dissolved, and count the drops of R0012 it takes (swirling for 10 seconds after each drop) to make the color turns blue and stay blue [if they are right you'll need ~10 drops of R0012 to reach the endpoint, if I'm right you'll need 20+ drops](each drop counts as 25 ppm)

I must say it's a new and satisfying thing to have been to a pool we're talking about here
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll bet your right Ted. When they told my chlorine level and that my ph was 7.8 I remembered what you said. When your chlorine is high you get a false reading on your ph. They said yes but it will read falsely low. I thought it read falsely high. Unless I have it wrong, which is very likely I will try that test. Thanks Ted. Filix.

9. Back To Top    #9

filix, you got our Ted (a/k/a waste) to help you with your pool?

You're lucky!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Your right Butterfly! And goodness knows I can sure use the help, as you can likely tell by my answers!