New startup

May 7, 2011
Just started up new pool on Friday afternoon. Pool supply equipment supplier added MA at startup. I took my first set of chemical test on Saturday morning.

TA 260
PH 7.2
CH 70
TC 0
CYA 0

I checked the PH on Sunday morning and it was bewtween 7.8 and 8. I added 1.5 gal MA to get PH back to 7.2. My concern is that the TA is too high, so I am adding MA to keep the acid at 7.2, and trying to aerate with the return jets in hopes of getting my TA down. I plan to add the first dose of chlorine tomorrow.

I have tri-chlor tabs and shock, as well as CYA. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks,

It seems like you've been reading! That's good! You may have skipped this article, because the title is somewhat misleading. The sequence is the same for a permanent pool. Things may be a little different because this is a brand new pool, but not much. One of the professionals should be chiming in shortly with specifics.

If you have written instructions that came with your warranty, follow them. And keep a log of your readings and what you added, just in case...

I am trying to decide on the use of the trichlor tabs, or the calcium hypochlorite. I need to raise my CH as well, so I could use the Calhypo and the CYA to do that. Or I could use the trichlor like suggested that will raise my CYA, but what about the CH?

Use trichlor, and add CH very slowly. Keep in mind that the CH level will come up as the plaster cures. With pebble tec, CH won't come up all the way to where you want it to be, so you probably will need to add some, but don't go straight to your target level because the plaster curing will also add CH to the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.