Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New startup

1. Back To Top    #1

New startup

Just started up new pool on Friday afternoon. Pool supply equipment supplier added MA at startup. I took my first set of chemical test on Saturday morning.

TA 260
    PH 7.2
    CH 70
    TC 0
    CYA 0

I checked the PH on Sunday morning and it was bewtween 7.8 and 8. I added 1.5 gal MA to get PH back to 7.2. My concern is that the TA is too high, so I am adding MA to keep the acid at 7.2, and trying to aerate with the return jets in hopes of getting my TA down. I plan to add the first dose of chlorine tomorrow.

I have tri-chlor tabs and shock, as well as CYA. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    ============================================================ ======================
    28,000 Gallon in ground Pebble Tec Tahoe Blue free form, Jandy 1.5 SHPM, Jandy 60 DEV, Jandy AquaPure 1400, Polaris 280, No Spa or water features.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New startup

It seems like you've been reading! That's good! You may have skipped this article, because the title is somewhat misleading. The sequence is the same for a permanent pool. Things may be a little different because this is a brand new pool, but not much. One of the professionals should be chiming in shortly with specifics.

If you have written instructions that came with your warranty, follow them. And keep a log of your readings and what you added, just in case...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you seen the article on starting up new plaster?

pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

Make sure you abide by PB startup to keep from voiding any warranty.

I suggest using the trichlor tabs as they will add chlorine and are acidic and will help keep the pH down.

Brush, brush.....using a nylon brush.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am trying to decide on the use of the trichlor tabs, or the calcium hypochlorite. I need to raise my CH as well, so I could use the Calhypo and the CYA to do that. Or I could use the trichlor like suggested that will raise my CYA, but what about the CH?
    ============================================================ ======================
    28,000 Gallon in ground Pebble Tec Tahoe Blue free form, Jandy 1.5 SHPM, Jandy 60 DEV, Jandy AquaPure 1400, Polaris 280, No Spa or water features.

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, I built the pool myself (contractor), so the only warranty that I have is the Pebble Tec. I am going to add the Jack's Magic purple stuff tomorrow per their website instructions.

6. Back To Top    #6

Use trichlor, and add CH very slowly. Keep in mind that the CH level will come up as the plaster cures. With pebble tec, CH won't come up all the way to where you want it to be, so you probably will need to add some, but don't go straight to your target level because the plaster curing will also add CH to the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School