Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: something new

1. Back To Top    #1

something new

This is year 3 for BBB . seems to work.
    This year I filled the above ground pool 18' . I put the usual borax & such in it The clorox makes the well water turn cloudy it always does. BUT this year the bottom of the pool is really slippery! Two days passed, The water is clear as a bell now . But the bottm is slick & there is something that looks like sand on the edges only & it is so fine it can only be siphoned out . wonder what that is? & why slippery? that is a new one
    Dan

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: something new

Slippery is usually some kind of biofilm. Slightly higher than normal chlorine levels and brushing a few times will usually clean it up in a day or two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You also might have poor bottom circulation if your pool doesn't have floor drains and has few returns and this allows the chlorine level to get too low near the bottom of the pool. After brushing, you can try pointing one or more returns diagonally downward to try and create a swirling action to improve bottom circulation. The downside is that this will reduce surface circulation for getting material to the skimmer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I am going out for a good brushing now . Strange, everything seems the same as usual? Except for the slippy stuff & dust. I will get back with a report later
    Dan

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, It seems to have gotten the slip out of the bottom with a good scrubbing . Now do y'all think I should give it a REALLY strong dose of clorox To teach it a lesson?
    Dan

6. Back To Top    #6

Sure, raise the FC level a little higher than usual.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you performed an overnight free CL loss test?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Sure, raise the FC level a little higher than usual.
    OK, I won't make a bad thing worse As you see I have been a member for 2 years & am still a "NEW USER". So you gotta cut me some slack. I am still excited. I would rather be a SWIMMER than a new user

9. Back To Top    #9

I like the idea of our user titles being swimming related that would be neat!

Also, Tool Man... nice avatar!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]