Help - Pump won't prime on Pool Side

May 4, 2011
Hello Fellow Poolers....

My main filter pump, a Hayward Super II will not prime. I have checked all of the usual issues....water level, clogged strainers, etc. and still can't get the pump to pull water.

My Jandy control system has automated valves that when put into SPA MODE the pump pulls water and primes. I have tried to start on the SPA side and switch to the POOL side and when I do I lose prime.

I have changed the intake valves from SKIMMERS and MAIN DRAIN and still with no success.

In the interim I have tried:

- Placed a garden hose in the intake portion of the pump to try and blow out any blockage.
- Used a wet/dry vac to try and suck any blockage out from one of the skimmers.
- Used a pressure washer to try and clear out any blockage.

Any suggestions from the group would be welcome.

Thanks,

Squid

Clarification, please: when you have things set to suck from the pool, and you stuff a garden hose into the strainer inlet, does water come out the skimmer, or into the spa, by chance?

I'm wondering if the diverter valve is hanging up halfway between spa and pool, like from a stripped gear or something.

Richard's on the right course. Failure for a pump to prime is almost always a suction side air leak. So somewhere between the skimmer and the pump impeller, air is getting in to the system.

Most common place is the 0-ring on the lid to the pump strainer basket but there are others as well.

Has it primed easily in the past?

Thanks for all of the input.....

The pump DOES prime when the valves are set to SPA MODE.

I've had trouble in the past with the pump priming.....but it typically has been water level.

What should my next steps be?

Squid

Do you mean on the output pipe on the top of the pump? If you are seeing a water leak on the output side of the pump, that won't affect priming.

If you can get the pump to prime in spa mode, try doing that, and while the pump is running very very slowly open the suction side valve to allow a little pool water into the system along with the spa water. The pump may well lose prime at that point, but if you are lucky you might get it that way. If you can't get it to prime that way, then there is an air leak somewhere between the skimmer and the valve on the suction side that selects between pool and spa.

Well I had the leak detection folks out here today....and guess what they found......NOTHING....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

I feel fortunate that my underground pipes are in good shape, but frustrated that i had to spend the money and still have a pool that will not circulate.

The guy from the leak detection company did say he saw some small leakage around my Jandy three way valves....so I guess I will go get some o-rings in the morning and see if that helps.

Hopefully I'll get this fixed before the pool turns green.

Squid

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you checked to see if your impeller is clogged? I had trouble priming when mine was clogged. Also given that you said the pool won't prime from skimmer or main drain then a shared component like a suction valve to balance skimmer vs MD could definitely be a culprit.

Re: Help - Pump won't prime on Pool Side - SOLVED

Well what do you know......

It looks like the o-rings on my Jandy 3 way valves were failing.....so after replacing 6 .89 o-rings I have a pump that primes and actually sounds better running that it ever has. Go Figure!

I hate the fact that I had to pay for an underground test, but I guess I now have the knowledge that the pipes are good.

Well...the pump is pumping....the cleaner is cleanin', the SWG is making chlorine....and I'm going in for a dip!

Hope the process I went through helps answers others who may get in the same spot.

Splashin' Away -

Squid

Hope the process I went through helps answers others who may get in the same spot.
A suction side air leak (which is what you had) is easily one of the most common pool issues that has been posted on this forum over the years. It manifests itself in a failure of the pump to prime.

What others should take away from this is that I don't think I can remember more than 3-4 instances when it was an underground pipe leak....if even that many. The air gets into the system at one of the connections, Pump strainer basket lid, etc. Any place there is a "joint" of two surfaces. ALMOST never a crack in the pipes.

I have the same pump and am having trouble with it priming as well. Replaced the o ring on the pump strainer basket and that has not corrected it. Im not sure what else to check. Any suggestions?

Re: Help - Pump won't prime on Pool Side - SOLVED

Well what do you know......

It looks like the o-rings on my Jandy 3 way valves were failing.....so after replacing 6 .89 o-rings I have a pump that primes and actually sounds better running that it ever has. Go Figure!

I hate the fact that I had to pay for an underground test, but I guess I now have the knowledge that the pipes are good.

Well...the pump is pumping....the cleaner is cleanin', the SWG is making chlorine....and I'm going in for a dip!

Splashin' Away -

Squid
reminds of the time my leg swelled up and the PA at the clinic sent me to a cardiologist...$5,550 later...found out my plumbing was just fine......he didn't mention any orings.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.