Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me Identify this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me Identify this?

Hello all, New member here (but a long time lurker)
    I have a pool in Las Vegas that has a leak, and while digging around the pool we found this.

Two experts (my pool guy, and a leak investigator) both are stumped.
    Anyone on here have any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Help me Identify this?

That is a manifold to split or combine water from many small hoses into a larger pipe. Seeing one underground like that is quite unusual.

My guess is that the pool has a solar deck heater, where all the small hoses run through the concrete of the deck and gather heat from the deck to heat the pool water. You also see something like that when there is a pool rim misting system. But in that case you should be able to see the misting jets under the rim of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Lower Bucks County,PA

Passive heating system is my guess also. Used to install system like this in greenhouse's with supplimental waterheater(winter)and chiller(summer). Hose material looks like old HeatWay radiant tubing.
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Burlington, ON, Canada

Geothermal heating loop I would guess if you didn't have a pool right there and weren't in Las Vegas. As usual, Jason is right, and it's called a manifold.

Here's an example of one used in a geothermal heating system ... xt=popular
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre