Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump sqealing

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump sqealing

My brand new VS3050 has been runnig 24/7 @ 2500 rpm since start up of the pool about 2 weeks ago. The last day or so have noticed a hi pitched sqealing coming from the pump like dry bearings. It has not lost prime and run dry at any point during this time. This is probably not good right???
    12k gal. Free form 14' x 28' IG gunite, 8' raised spa, Hayward T15 SWG, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward Super II pump, Booster pump, Polaris 280, Hayward DE 7220 filter, 400k Btu heater, Color logic LED lights. Pro Logic controller with remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pump sqealing

No, not good. That could be a bearing failing, which really shouldn't happen on a new pump. There is some chance it is something much more trivial, but a bad bearing seems likely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I figured that, Now lets see what run around answer I get from the PB Monday morning. I can hear it now, "Oh don't worry about that, that's just a noise a new pump makes as it breaks in", or "That's a warranty issue, you will have to contact the manufacturer"
    12k gal. Free form 14' x 28' IG gunite, 8' raised spa, Hayward T15 SWG, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward Super II pump, Booster pump, Polaris 280, Hayward DE 7220 filter, 400k Btu heater, Color logic LED lights. Pro Logic controller with remote.

4. Back To Top    #4

Contact Pentair tech ASAP! 800 831 7133
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks I will call, but now after a day and a half of this noise the pump is purring like a kitten agian. I can't even get it to duplicate the noise now when I shut the pump off and start it again.

6. Back To Top    #6

That sounds too much like my own experiences with my new VS+SVRS. Purring along for two weeks, then started squealing intermittently. Comes and goes.

Today, I started it up and turned it to a low speed (1200) and it was vibrating pretty strongly. Cleared up when I turned the speed up to 1700 RPM, but hey - I didn't get it to run it on high.

I am getting anxious that I may too have a faulty unit - will probably be calling their support too. Would be interested to hear if the problems you have been having come back or not.
    11,000 gal shaded pebbletech in ground with spa/spillover
    IntelliFlo VS+SVRS Pump
    Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Navigator Pro cleaner
    Rheem heater
    North Texas