Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filters

1. Back To Top    #1
    Tampa, FLorida

Sorry to bring this topic up again, but I am REALLY torn between a cartridge or DE filter for my new pool. Part of me thinks the cartridge is the easier way, but the builders and alot of people say the DE is the way to go for clarity and filtering capabilities. Is the DE more likely to have issues or problems, is the clarity that noticeable. Please help me from flip flopping in my mind every 5 minutes...thanks alot !!
    15x30 free form (10,500 gal) SWG
    Gunite, Game depth 3.5-5-4 ft, 1 hp Sta-Rite Super Max 2 speed pump, 53' Sta-Rite system 3 DE filter
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Pentair 125k BTU ultra temp heat pump,
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Filters

Go with the cartridge filter. And make it a large one. There isn't enough diference in clarity to tell unless you look at it under a pool light and even then you may not be able to tell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Hartford, Connecticut

Re: Filters

I've had cartridge filters in all my pools and wouldn't have it any other way. So, I'm not a de filter expert at all but I've observed friend's pools and in every case where they've called on me to help them fix their ailing pools, they've had poor circulation issues due to their de filters constantly slowing down the flow rate of the water. I'm helping my neighbor now get his pool in shape after a hard winter and his filter runs for a short while and the flow slows down to nothing. We used to clean our cartridges once at the end of the season (we clean them a couple times now but not because we have to, it's because we want to) and always have a really strong suction/rate of return. I say what good is it to clean down to 1 micron but you have lost a lot of the flow rate of the filtration . . my neighbor put his hand in our pool to feel the water blasting out of the returns compared to his little trickle and was convinced that cartridge is for him.

Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, chlorine pucks or bleach depending on CYA levels, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward pool vac ultra, Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 12 ml clear solar cover, TF-100 test kit, added salt for feel 1,250 ppm, we had "pink algae" in 2010.
    Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons. Using BBB method for the first time and for the first time in ages, the water is crystal clear