Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae in 18' x 48" intex pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae in 18' x 48" intex pool

I am a new pool owner and I'm having trouble with algae. I shocked the pool yesterday and the tests say the chlorine level is over what it should be, which I read was a good thing for killing algae. Yesterday the sides of the pool were slimy and now they fill clean like they should. I feel like I'm making some progress, but the pool is still green. Does anyone know how long it will take for pool to clear. And should I leave the filter on constantly until it clears? Thanks for any answers, I'm clueless but learning and this website really helps.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae in 18' x 48" intex pool

Keep up with the shock level until it clears. Even if it is cheesy, the Intex vacuum can help get some of the solids out. I run the filter full time anyways since they flow so little; in your case I would check/change the filter element daily.

Scrub and rinse the filter, then douse it with bleach. Dont want a reused filter to deliver the very stuff you're trying to get rid of!

Didi you get all your chemistry right at the Pool Calculator?

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply post. No my chemistry came from test strips, which I am coming to find out are useless. I bought a better test at home depot, and I'm going to retest in a minute. Thanks again. It really helps.

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Even the test kit you bought at Home Depot isn't going to be good enough. You need a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit such as the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006. If you describe the test kit you got from Home Depot, then perhaps you only need to supplement it with some single test components.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"