Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak after enlarging holes in Intex Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak after enlarging holes in Intex Pool

OK so I got the 2500 gal pump to replace my 1000 gal pump. A friend of mine did the conversion on his by cutting the holes and he offered to do mine.
    Well all went well except now I have noticed water trickling down where the holes where cut. I'm assuming he cut them to big.. What a friend right? Any ideas on how to fix it? It's just a trickle. I've tightened them and had my neighbors try to tightened them, but still have a trickle. Any ideas?
    19,000 gallon, SWG, IG; Plaster/pebble, cartridge filter, 150 flow rate, Starite 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak after enlarging holes in Intex Pool

You'll most likely have to remove it and reseal it with new gaskets and/or silicone caulking. It could be that the gaskets we not installed correctly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It might be that they are to small. To small and you will get a wrinkle. When you pull it, make sure he didn't make the hole to small. Also make sure it is assembled correctly - Inlet/Outlet - Gasket - Pool - Gasket - Nut.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice! What it was when he cut the holes instead of making a circle he just cut an X in it. It was leaking from the tips of the X. So I disassembled it then I cut a vinyl patch about 1/2 bigger than the hole, cut a hole in the patch using the gasket as a template, glued the patch to the gasket, then glued the patch to the pool. No leaks!!!
    I'll never let my "buddy" touch the pool again....
    19,000 gallon, SWG, IG; Plaster/pebble, cartridge filter, 150 flow rate, Starite 1 1/2 HP