Help: Water Cloudy for last 7-10 days

May 30, 2011
My pool has had been cloudy, can't see the drains at the 5 ft end, and can see the bottom step in the 3 ft end. It's been like this the past 7-10 days. My filter runs for 10 hrs a day. I'm using a Taylor K2006 to get my water balanced. My SWG cell has not been generating chlorine during this time and I just replaced it yesterday when it arrived. I have been trying to get my chlorine levels right with liquid chlorine during this time. I've also tried some clarifier/flocculent, which I now think was a bad idea as I probably over did it and it seems to have made matters worse as I used to be able to see the drains in the 5 ft end, although not clearly.
Here are my numbers the last two days.
Yesterday at 3:00pm
FC = 8 (via liquid chlorine)
CC = 3.5
CYA = 32
PH = 7.4
TA = 110
CH = 280 (not sure I did this right yesterday)

Today at 7:00am
FC = 4
CC = 2
CYA = 30
PH = 7.4
TA = 100
CH = 675 (tested it twice this morning. Note: added about 3 inches of water to the pool yesterday also.)
Salt = 3000

Any thoughts on how I may go about getting this cleared up would be appreciated, as we'd really like to go swimming. My thoughts are to start running the filter around the clock, stop the clarifier/flocculent, continue to keep the water balanced, and see what I can do about the CH. I'm thinking the only thing to do with CH is to empty and refill some portion of the pool water. Your advice is welcomed.

Shock your pool. You have been keeping inadequate chlorine in the pool. Read How to "Shock your Pool" up in Pool School and stay strictly with that process described.

That means you will need to run your pum[p 24/7 and your FC will need to be around 15ppm and you will need to KEEP IT THERE during the entire process.

Keep your pH where4 it is (don't let it get higher) and we'll deal with the CH after your pool is clear.

I wanted to provide an update on how i was proceeding. I've been trying to follow pool school's shocking instructions. I've attached an excel spreadsheet from the time I started. Water is still Hazy but much improved. Continuing with the the shock treatment as instructed. While I'm not there yet, was wondering if there is any run of thumb on when to try performing the overnight FC test. My pool water is making great progress from the looks of things, and I don't want to loose any momentum by stopping for this test. Please let me know when I should be looking to perform that test. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Pool Testing Values.xls
    16 KB · Views: 10
While I'm not there yet, was wondering if there is any run of thumb on when to try performing the overnight FC test.
While you can run it any time, it is fairly pointless until you think you will meet these criteria....

1. Your water is crystal clear. (uh-oh!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2. You lose less than 1.0 FC during the FC overnight loss test
3. Your CC's test is .5 or less

So, get your water crystal clear by sticking with the process. The OFCLT will follow but you need to visually get your water sparkling.

My water is crystal clear today. My ONFC test passed with only loosing 0.5ppm and cc=0. I'm attaching my excel spreadsheet of the testing results I experienced as I was going through the Pool School Shocking treatment. It was my first time using this method, and I'm hoping this information can help others who may be new to understand what one may expect going through the process.

My CH=545 still seems still too high and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations on what I can do, short of draining my now crystal clear water.

Thanks to those who have helped me out. It's greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Pool Testing Values.xls
    17.5 KB · Views: 12
My CH=545 still seems still too high and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations on what I can do
It's high but manageable....no need to drain.

Keep your pH in the lower 7's....that's the most important.

I would also suggest TA down around where it is...no higher.

Keeping your pH and TA no higher than where they are now will result in you CH being inconsequential.

Test the CH of your fill water when you have time. It'll likely help reduce the CH in the pool as the summer progresses.

Very nice work on the Shock Process...We have another believer!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.