Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My GFCI outlet is not working properly

1. Back To Top    #1

My GFCI outlet is not working properly

Is there anyone here that knows anything about these things. Or should I call out an electrician and pay him an arm and a leg?
    27K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger pump, 300 # sand filter, Hayward Navigator/Manual backbreaker

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My GFCI outlet is not working properly

There's really nothing you can do except replace the recepticle. There aren't any serviceable parts in them. What is the problem with it?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a light that is wired to it, and when it is correct at night the light comes on and when its light out would go out. Well that same light for the longest worked fine however the gfci would also turn it off or on whichever the case may be. Now it wont however everything else seems to work like when I plug in a vacuum cleaner works like it is suppose to. I dont know just weird.
    27K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger pump, 300 # sand filter, Hayward Navigator/Manual backbreaker

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm trying to figure this out. Are you saying that you have a light that comes on at night and off in the day? You also say that the receptacle always works? If those two things are correct then you need to replace the light. I assume this is a post light or one that is mounted on your house.
    18x40 IG Vinyl Salt Water Sport Floor
    Auto Cover
    Goldline PS-8 w/Light Module (2) 120v LEDS
    Hayward T-Cell-15
    Aquapod
    1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Heat Pump
    Deck Jets
    Steps and In-pool Bench w/Jets
    (3) Motorized Valves

5. Back To Top    #5

yeah but the reset wont work fo sure when I click it nothing

6. Back To Top    #6

I get that electricity isn't your forté. I suggest that you call an electrician or a friend that's electrically inclined. Sounds like you need to replace the light but I don't want you hurting yourself doing it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

No its not my forte however what I am trying to explain is that the reset but is stuck out and when I push on it nothing happens at all I am curious if it could be the reset and test parts are bad but the outlet parts are good. The light is on a poll, and it basically is a street light.

8. Back To Top    #8

If the test/reset function doesn't work then the GFCI portion is broken and the receptacle needs to be replaced.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

The GFI might be working properly. It may be that the light or it's feed are bad. My guess is that the light is hooked up on the "load" terminals on the GFI. If so, the GFI protects the light and wiring as well as whatever you plug in the front of it. It won't hurt to replace the GFI. It is a fairly simple task assuming you know where the breaker is that feeds it. If you do attempt to change it make sure you look at the back of the receptacle and mark the wires for line and load. Make sure you put the hot and neutral on the proper sides of the receptacle. If any of this doesn't make sense, call an electrician!
    18x40 IG Vinyl Salt Water Sport Floor
    Auto Cover
    Goldline PS-8 w/Light Module (2) 120v LEDS
    Hayward T-Cell-15
    Aquapod
    1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Heat Pump
    Deck Jets
    Steps and In-pool Bench w/Jets
    (3) Motorized Valves

10. Back To Top    #10

1)
    I am curious if it could be the reset and test parts are bad but the outlet parts are good
    That should never happen. The test/reset part are part of the protection circuitry. If they don't work, the GFCI is broken, and no longer can be counted on to provide the protection necessary. It needs to be replaced.

2)
    when I plug in a vacuum cleaner works like it is suppose to.
    If an appliance plugged in to the GFCI receptacle works, but a light powered by the GFCI doesn't, I suspect that there is a problem with the light as well. The same protection circuitry within the GFCI protects both the included receptacle and the LOAD wiring from the GFCI. Oh, by the way, that protection circuitry is broken. See #1 above.
    (I 'm assuming that the vacuum, when plugged in and working like it's supposed to, doesn't respond to the test/reset buttons, right?)

the reset but is stuck out and when I push on it nothing happens at all
    Ummm, yeah. Broken. See #1 again.

Replacing a GFCI is not overly complicated. If you can change out a normal receptacle, you can replace a GFCI. Make sure the power is OFF. Label the wires before disconnecting them from the existing GFCI. A couple of pictures can be handy too. Replace the wires onto the same terminals of the new GFCI, incoming power on LINE terminals, any outgoing wires (if they are used in your setup) to the LOAD terminals. Reassemble. Power up. Enjoy.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]