High level of iron in water - what to do?

May 13, 2009
Mn
We are in the process of buying a pool. We told the pool guy we have iron in our water and he said we might want to think about having "Pool ready" water trucked in for the initial fill and then each year at opening. He has nothing to gain and could have just sold me a bunch of chemicals instead.

Soothe question is, what do we do about the iron in the water? Or is this not even an issue except for large fills. Meaning that periodic filling to compensate for evaporation is no big deal, or will it eventually cause staining and other nasty issues? We have hardness of 27 grains and iron level of almost 3 ppm. We are on city water but these are the same numbers from the city and water testing.

Thanks! I'm just feeling a little nervous to do this right the first time.

I'd get water trucked in, and probably try to collect extra rain water as well. If you have iron in the water above about 0.3 you need to use sequestrant, which needs to be constantly replenished, and that gets expensive. The higher the iron level, the more sequestrant you need to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.