Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High level of iron in water - what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

High level of iron in water - what to do?

We are in the process of buying a pool. We told the pool guy we have iron in our water and he said we might want to think about having "Pool ready" water trucked in for the initial fill and then each year at opening. He has nothing to gain and could have just sold me a bunch of chemicals instead.

Soothe question is, what do we do about the iron in the water? Or is this not even an issue except for large fills. Meaning that periodic filling to compensate for evaporation is no big deal, or will it eventually cause staining and other nasty issues? We have hardness of 27 grains and iron level of almost 3 ppm. We are on city water but these are the same numbers from the city and water testing.

Thanks! I'm just feeling a little nervous to do this right the first time.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: High level of iron in water - what to do?

I'd get water trucked in, and probably try to collect extra rain water as well. If you have iron in the water above about 0.3 you need to use sequestrant, which needs to be constantly replenished, and that gets expensive. The higher the iron level, the more sequestrant you need to use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: High level of iron in water - what to do?

If you know you have iron, I can't stress enough that you should seriously consider trucking in your fill water. As Jason said, keeping sequestrant in the pool is going to get expensive.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit