Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Here are my numbers...........but eyes are burning

1. Back To Top    #1

Here are my numbers...........but eyes are burning

My numbers seem to all be good but my family is complaining that their eyes are burning from the pool water. Anyone have any suggestions?

FC=5.0 just added 106oz. of bleach after we got out today
    CC=0
    pH=7.8
    TA=110
    Ch=120
    CYA=55

pH is usually what causes the eyes to burn isn't it?

Thanks for any help!
    27' round Above ground w/sand filter
    17100 gallons calculated
    Nashville, IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Here are my numbers...........but eyes are burning

Low PH and high CC are the two normal causes of eyes burning, neither of which appear to be the case in your pool.

Has anything out of the ordinary been happening recently?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the water new? Low salinity can be rough on your eyes.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

They have been burning since the first time they swam a week ago. Nothing out of the ordinary that I can think of. Some days it seems the FC drops more than others but never below 4.5 or so and it's usually 5 to 6 then we bump it back up to 8 as our target. I did add about 3 to 4 inches of water Wednesday evening but that is rural water that is not from a well or sistern.

This is the 2nd year for this pool, year 1 of the BBB.

Thanks!
    17100 gallons calculated
    Nashville, IL

5. Back To Top    #5

If they are keeping their eyes open for an extended period of time underwater, then it's most likely the low salt levels, especially if the burning sensation isn't immediate but only after some time underwater. If underwater the eyes feel some pressure, then that's the osmotic pressure of water that is low in salt entering the eye which is higher in salt (probably 500 ppm or so vs. 9000 ppm). This is the primary reason some people like saltwater pools better since there is a smaller difference in salt levels (3000 ppm vs. 9000 ppm).

This is the same thing that happens if you take a long bath and get "wrinkle skin" in your fingertips. Water low in salt enters your skin that is higher in salt creating that bloated uneven water-logged effect. In a bath, however, you usually aren't keeping your head underwater with your eyes open for an extended period of time.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

When I was in last night I noticed my nose really burned after going under also. My son says his eyes really don't bother him it's just his nose as well. Is there anything I can do to help this?
    17100 gallons calculated
    Nashville, IL

7. Back To Top    #7

You might want to try adding salt to about 2,000 ppm. If chem geek is correct that salt is the issue, 2,000 ppm should be enough to take care of it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I won't make this a suggestion, but I'll make a comment. I'll let Chem Geek turn this into a suggestion if he wants

If your pH swings wildly, you might consider adding borates to your pool. I will also say I can hold my eyes open underwater and I have no burning; no idea if the borates contributed to this or not.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

So if I did this correct! According to chem geek and my pool is at 500ppm salt and I need to go to 2000 then the pool calculator tells me I need to add 215lbs. of salt. What kind of salt would be recommended?

So what exactly would the salt do in this situation to help reduce eye and nose burning?

I guess another question I have is that the poolcalculator says my target FC should be 7. However somewhere I read or was told that I should keep it at 8, so I have. Can I now go down to 7? I realize this isn't our eye and nose problem but was just wondering?

Thanks for all the assistance. My water continues to be absolutely crystal clear on about $1 or $1.50 per day!!!!!
    17100 gallons calculated
    Nashville, IL

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by SIHunter
    So what exactly would the salt do in this situation to help reduce eye and nose burning?
    See this post. You might want to try swimming in a saltwater chlorine generator pool (or a manually-dosed salt pool, if someone has one) to see if it helps before you make the change in your own pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"