Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Filter - sand in sight glass

1. Back To Top    #1
    Columbia, TN

New Filter - sand in sight glass

Yesterday my hubby and I successfully installed a new Hayward 19" Sand Filter We used the sand shield that came with it while we added the sand. During backwashing, I noticed a little sand coming into the sight glass. I fear that sand got into the center even though we used the shield. I cannot see the bottom of the pool due to it turning green (old sand filter cracked and we couldn't replace it right away) to determine how much if any is coming back into the pool. Is this issue something I should worry about? If so, what can I do about it? Thanks for any help!!
    18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New Filter - sand in sight glass

I wouldn't worry about a little sand during backwashing on the first day, that really doesn't mean anything. If you are getting sand in the pool, then you have something to investigate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Northern Maryland (near Delaware)

Re: New Filter - sand in sight glass

I have a sand filter with zeobrite, I rarely backwash but when I do, I do get sand swirling in the glass for a few seconds. No sand in the pool, so I don't worry about it.
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.