Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

New Sand Filter

I am new to TFP and boy am I glad I found this site. Been reading through the forums for the past couple weeks. And read through pool school.

We installed a new 24" Hayward Pentair Sand Filter at the beginning of the season. I can't seem to get the pressure to drop below 16 psi after a backwash. Any thoughts?
    18x36 29K gal Gunite - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite - 40k Cell - 24" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    Polaris 380 w/ booster - RayPak 336K BTU Propane Heater

Twitter: @jfgreco

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Sand Filter

That may be perfectly normal. The filter doesn't really add much to the pressure. It's mostly a function of the plumbing and pump. I have a 1HP pump and a 24" Hayward sand filter and my normal pressure is 18psi.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there some reason you expect the pressure to go lower? Was it lower in the past? Every pool has a different clean pressure. 16 psi is well within the normal range for clean filter pressures.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

New Sand Filter

I am new to pools. And people tell me that it should be more like 8-12. So that got me wondering.
    18x36 29K gal Gunite - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite - 40k Cell - 24" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    Polaris 380 w/ booster - RayPak 336K BTU Propane Heater

Twitter: @jfgreco

5. Back To Top    #5

When my pool was first installed my sand filter pressure was 10psi, when I had to place the sand filter because by dog chewed off the threads on the drain plug over the winter the new pump had a psi of 12. I changed out my 3/4hp pump yesterday and the new pump has the sand filter at 15psi. As long as it stays close to where it is I'm happy. I did nto a search regarding this issue and couldn't really find much. The only think I did find was that when the pressure rises 5-10psi, backwash the filter.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits