Autofill and overflow DIY

Little Aussie Battler

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Sydney Australia
Hi Guys
I have two leaking skimmer boxes. One in each corner of a rectangular pool. I have good underground
access to both skimmer boxes.

As a DIY project I would like to install an autofill and an overflow. I thought I could use the existing
skimmer boxes for this. One for the autofill and one for the overflow and install a new skimmer box about
half way down one of the long sides of the pool.

I can see the benefits for both an autofill and an overflow but is my thinking wrong on this project?

I can see the benefits for both an autofill and an overflow but is my thinking wrong on this project?
That's a good question and I think the answer depends on your personal desires.

Many pool owners on this forum are totally automated with every imaginable feature being simply a function of programming a remote or pushing a button. Others, (me among them) perform most all functions manually.

My thinking is that every mechanical or electronic device WILL break in time....perhaps causing more problems than the convenience they initially provided. Others think, "So what? I'll fix it if it breaks". IMHO, that's just as valid as my thoughts.

So, autofills are nice but can malfunction. An overflow feature makes sense but pumping to waste can do the same thing....you have to decide the cost/benefit ratio (to you) for all the features available and decide if they're suitable for your particular needs/wants.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.