Aqua Rite Salt reading varies from test reading

Jun 13, 2010
I am using an Aqua Rite Salt generator 40 . The reading on the control panel reads 3,600 ppm, the results from a Taylor K-1766 salt water test twice came in at 2,800 ppm. Which reading should i use and if i add salt should i worry if the reading on control panel gets to high?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!!

How old is the unit?

As long as the test strips are reading 2800 while the unit reports 3600, you are fine. The units have a margin of error of ~ +/- 500, which gets worse over time but will produce chlorine as long as the salt is above 2600.

Have you visually inspected the cell lately? A congested cell can cause issues.

If the cell is clean and the unit not reaching the end of it's life-span and you know there is more than 2600 ppm salt in the pool - it's fine to run the unit as your water is, as long as you're producing chlorine. My reasoning for this is that you know you have enough salt to allow the unit to produce and, if you add more the unit may stop generating because it 'thinks' there is too much salt.

Have you recently added salt?

Normally we see the salinity reported by the cell to be less than the Taylor test or strips as the cell ages or as the cell accumulates scale.

The Taylor K-1766 test kit can be tricky but is accurate to within +- 400 ppm.

Part of the difference may be testing error.
Water sample size is only 10ml.
Be sure to add the R-07018 regent until the sample turns milky red. The color of the sample will be like a weathered brick. This normally takes a few more drops after the sample turns light milky pink. If the sample turns brown then you have added too much silver nitrate and are past the endpoint.

Warning: If you get the silver nitrate on your skin it will not wash off. It will take a couple of days to wear off. :oops:

For version 1.5, be sure the Aquarite is set for the correct cell size in the setup menu.

If the green generating light is on, then I would not add salt.

PSG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.