Getting sand in the pool from filter!

May 29, 2010
Ugh my experience with pools is gonna wanna make me just go to the YMCA. Well i set up a new pool this year (previously had an intex pool the last couple years) So i decided to just buy a steal sided one leave it up and away we go. Did all the landscapin my self , installed pool and liner my self. That has so far been great. The pool has had water in it for about 4 days now. Noticed when i first started up the filter ( pump and sand filter ) there was sand blowing out. that last for a few minutes. I then un hooked it today to do some permenent plumbing and when i started it up there was sand blowing out of it. I spent a long time cleaning it up i dont want to have to do it again.lol
The filter is a used filter and pump (1hppump club pro sand filter) i beleave made by hayward. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated
thanks

:( i did none of these. The filter was used and had sand in it. I just hooked it up and started.
I put a filter sock on it now to try and catch some of it. I have about 2 cups full at the moment

You need to open the filter and inspect the following items, the spider gasket on the multiport valve, the center tube, and the laterals. Check the spider gasket first. It should be firmly seated in the bottom of the multiport valve, and not be stretched, nicked or torn. If that looks good then the next step is to examine the center stand pipe, carefully remove the sand and make sure the center pipe is firmly seated and there are no cracks or chips in the pipe. If that is good then inspect the laterals for cracks and chips and that they are firmly seated.

When you replace the sand, cover the top of the center pipe so no sand can go down inside (gently stuffing a rag in the opening should suffice). Add about a foot of water to the filter, then start scooping the sand back in. Be careful you do not dislodge the center pipe when you remove the rag.

i just emptied the sock and it has debris in the sand aswell. I just vacumed up before i noticed the sand was coming in.

It seemed to spit out a lot on intial start up then was running fine until i vacumed. the sock i have on the reurn now has been runnig for about 30 min and maybe has a tablespoon full.

zea3 said:
You need to open the filter and inspect the following items, the spider gasket on the multiport valve, the center tube, and the laterals. Check the spider gasket first. It should be firmly seated in the bottom of the multiport valve, and not be stretched, nicked or torn. If that looks good then the next step is to examine the center stand pipe, carefully remove the sand and make sure the center pipe is firmly seated and there are no cracks or chips in the pipe. If that is good then inspect the laterals for cracks and chips and that they are firmly seated.

When you replace the sand, cover the top of the center pipe so no sand can go down inside (gently stuffing a rag in the opening should suffice). Add about a foot of water to the filter, then start scooping the sand back in. Be careful you do not dislodge the center pipe when you remove the rag.
ok this is todays job. Thanks will let you know how it works. Should i back wash or rinse before restarting? I dont want to lose to much water and when i start vacuming up the sand again can i just use the filter and pump. When i was sucking up the sand before it didnt sound the best when going through the pump.
Thanks

ok so heres what i found. Only 3 of the laterals were hooked up. It looks like this may have been a problem the previous owner had as it looks like it was cobbled up. I am goin to try to glue the pieces back together and insert the laterals which screw in.

DSCN3692.jpg

DSCN3693.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
also noticed the sand was only about 1/3 full. Probally the rest is in the pool LOL . I guess now is a good time to add. What type and how much. I found out this is a jacuzzi laser 192 club pro sand filter. It says on the side :hammer:

Joey, I would try to replace that part instead of gluing. I have never had much luck gluing something that is threaded. You can search for a Jacuzzi dealer in your area. They can probably order the part if they do not have it. Or you can check online. If it was going to be several days before I could get the part then I might try to glue it so that I could run the filter in the meantime. But you need to replace the missing laterals or you are going to continue to get sand even if you are successful in your repair. Another temporary alternative to trying to glue it would be to button it back up and put the Multiport valve in recirculate. That way the pump will keep the water moving and you can continue to maintain your chlorine and ph levels while you wait on the part. The sand you want is Pool Sand and you get that at your pool store. If it were me I would go ahead and get a new spider gasket and some silicone lube for it. Neither are very expensive and since you have the filter apart you might as well replace other parts which are known to fail. So with a new standpipe, laterals, spider gasket you will have a rebuilt filter and should get years of service.

Txmat said:
Joey, I would try to replace that part instead of gluing. I have never had much luck gluing something that is threaded. You can search for a Jacuzzi dealer in your area. They can probably order the part if they do not have it. Or you can check online. If it was going to be several days before I could get the part then I might try to glue it so that I could run the filter in the meantime. But you need to replace the missing laterals or you are going to continue to get sand even if you are successful in your repair. Another temporary alternative to trying to glue it would be to button it back up and put the Multiport valve in recirculate. That way the pump will keep the water moving and you can continue to maintain your chlorine and ph levels while you wait on the part. The sand you want is Pool Sand and you get that at your pool store. If it were me I would go ahead and get a new spider gasket and some silicone lube for it. Neither are very expensive and since you have the filter apart you might as well replace other parts which are known to fail. So with a new standpipe, laterals, spider gasket you will have a rebuilt filter and should get years of service.

Thanks for the reply
I do have the other laterals just didn't show in the picture. I glued it together and assembled in the tank. So far so good. I am going to put some more sand in and try it . I do think i will replace that stand pipe assembly but i doubt it would be in stock but i will see. Just in case it does falter in the future. Is 2/3 of sand enough?

Most filters have a sand weight listed on the outside and some sort of fill mark inside or outside. I used the weight to determine when my filter was full. Others have posted that they reached the fill mark before they had put all the weight in. Be sure and put about a foot of water in before you put any sand. You want the laterals covered with water and add sand slowly so the weight of the sand does not break a lateral. Also be sure to cover the stand pipe so you don't get sand in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.