Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what kind of test strips should I get?

1. Back To Top    #1

what kind of test strips should I get?

I have to give my boss a list of supplies I need for the community pool. The test strips we have only test the ph, fc, alk, and cya

they are really inaccurate and have a different outcome when i use multiple ones at the same time.
    1) 45000 gallon
    2) sand filter
    3) Inground
    4) If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    5) 5hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what kind of test strips should I get?

If you want to test the pool accurately then you will not be able to do that with strips. What you need is a drop based kit, such as the TF 100 or the Taylor k2006. Check your local regulations to see what the required chemical levels for public pools are for your area.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

its a private pool in a private community nom sayin
    1) 45000 gallon
    2) sand filter
    3) Inground
    4) If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    5) 5hp

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no idea what the rules are in Missouri, but in all of the states I am familiar with, that counts as a public pool, even though it is not strictly "public".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

None. Get a drop test kit.

Whoever operates that pool is liable. If someone gets pinkeye, a urinary tract infection, anything at all, really, and they feel like suing, I'm sure a lawyer would have no problem convincing a jury that there was negligence involved.

The Center for Disease Control has recommendations that should be the minimum a community pool should follow; most states or counties have tougher ones. Just as a for-instance: someone has diarrhea in the pool. They say
    Raise the free chlorine concentration to 20 ppm and maintain pH 7.5 or less and a temperature at 77°F (25°C) or higher. The free chlorine and pH should remain at these levels for at least 12.75 hours to achieve the CT inactivation value of 15,300. Crypto CT inactivation values are based on killing 99.9% of Crypto. This level of Crypto inactivation cannot be reached in the presence of 50 ppm chlorine stabilizer, even after 24 hours at 40 ppm free chlorine, pH 6.5, and a temperature of 77°F (25°C). Extrapolation of these data suggest it would take approximately 30 hours to kill 99.9% of Crypto in the presence of 50 ppm or less cyanuric acid, 40 ppm free chlorine, pH 6.5, and a temperature of 77°F (25°C) or higher.
    emphasis added.

How are you going to read 20 ppm accurately on a test strip? And just how accurate is that CYA reading?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!