high chlorine, dead bird, first Taylor testing :)

Apr 22, 2011
My Taylor test kit arrived yesterday :) and I tested just now. My dad was the chemical engineer, not me!

Pool is 70 degrees.
Here are my numbers:
FC 6.5
CC .5 (is this right??) (one drop turned it clear)
PH 7.6
TA 100
CA 150
CYA 70

I found a dead bird yesterday. Had been in there less than 19 hours, as I check the pool daily and the critter wasn't there the night before. (nasty surprise!)

Last week, my chlorine was at 0 (water testing at the store) and my salt machine was telling me to add salt, so I did, and then "superchlorinated" the pool for 24 hours.

I'm on two dots on the swg. I went down to one last week, and went to 0 chlorine upon testing, but that was probably because I was outta salt, right?

Should I go down to one dot? How long til the bird ickiness is gone??? (Have NOT told the kids that there was a dead thing in the pool, they'd never go back in!) LOL

Thanks everyone!

You need to do an Overnight FC Loss Test, with the SWG off and determine if your FC is holding overnight. If its not, you need to shock the pool with liquid chlorine - see the directions in Pool School.

One drop turning the CC clear means yes, you have .5 CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.