Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need new pump.... would appreciate suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Need new pump.... would appreciate suggestions

This is my second year with my pool and I'm happy to say I think I've finally got the water chemistry figured out! :P
    Now my pump is not sounding so good and I am going to replace it. It is really old. A friend gave it to me. My question is about what brand and hp pump to get. The current pump is 2.5 hp but that seems big and unnecessary for my pool. I have an oval 18x33. I am using a sand filter but am just replacing the pump. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. There are so many different brands and I feel lost. Also, the current pump is a 2 speed. Do I need a 2 speed or is 1 speed fine?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need new pump.... would appreciate suggestions

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, by all means get a two speed. A two speed pump can save you a great deal on electrical costs.

Do you have any water features, fountain, waterfall, etc? Is your pool in-ground or above ground?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool is above ground and no, I do not have any water features. Do you think a 3/4 hp would be fine? It is approximately 18,000 gallons with a sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

3/4 HP would do you fine.

5. Back To Top    #5

any recommendations on a brand?

6. Back To Top    #6

Pentair or Hayward. I give Pentair just a bit of an edge.