Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: am I on the right track

1. Back To Top    #1
    Denton, Tx

am I on the right track

Our SWG is having trouble keeping up making chlorine (I think). Our Chlorine levels have been low since swimming season has started. So we had the SWG tested this week to make sure it was not faulty and they said it was fine but our phosphates were high. Last night I went out a bought a Taylor K2006 test kit so I could start testing it better than what the kit our builder gave us.

After testing last night and this morning with the K2006 I got these numbers:
    Last night
    FC: 0.5
    CC: 1.0
    pH: 8.0
    CH: not tested - let me know if you need this and I will test it
    CYA: 55

This Morning:
    CC: 0.6

I have added some stablizer this morning to bring up the CYA. I think I need to add some muriatic acid to bring down the pH. Since reading on here that the phosphates should not be a problem if the FC levels are in check, is my next step shocking the pool?

Thanks for the help in advance, I am still trying to get a grasp of what my wife got me into.
    21K gal, IG, 37x18.5 w/Spa, Depths:3.5-5-4, Plaster, Salt
    Hayward SP4015x202 2hp Pump, Hayward 60 sq ft DE, Legends Plat. Cleaner
    Aqualogic 8 Control

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: am I on the right track

Yes, you are definitely on the right track. Raise CYA, lower PH, shock pool, you have it all figured out
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: am I on the right track

Fix the stuff you're fixing....and you MAY not need to shock. Just getting the FC in range and all this lovely early June heat wave might burn off that extra CC for ya'. I'd dump a jug or two of bleach in there so your FC gets there quickly and you don't have to work the SWCG so hard----just maintain. Your wife has a sister just East of you! Welcome to the poolboy club.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!