Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time posting results.

1. Back To Top    #1

First time posting results.

Opened pool and water was clean but cloudy. Vacuumed and shocked thursday nite with calcium hyprochlorite 73%. Today pool looks great. Getting my feet wet with the TF-100, my results are: FC 1, CC 2-1/2, PH 7.5, T/A 150, CH 350, Temp 70 degrees, CYA is an issue. If I wait until the black dot disappears, the tube is full. If I wait until the dot starts to change from black to gray, the # is 60. If I wait till its somewhat gone , the # is 30. What gives. Now the question is: do I go onto the pool calculator with those numbers and do as told ? I previously used 3" trichlor pucks and filled my chlorinator. I need to know how much liquid chlorine or bleach to use on a daily basis. I get full sun but usually put a solar cover on until I get the pool up to 80+ degrees.
    28K,IG,Plaster,1HP Amer Std, 48 Sq' Titan Vert Grid DT Filter, Hayward Auto Chlorinator, Jandy Ray Vac Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: First time posting results.

Amo,

Practice that CYA test using the same mixture 3-4 times until you start to get comfortable with it. You want the dot to be obscured so your ppm is less than 20. I wouls suggest calculating enough to add 20ppm more and put it in right away.

Now you need to shock the pool correctly. read How to "Shock your Pool" up in Pool School. You will find that you must maintain those high levels of chlorine until you get those CC's down to .5ppm or less.

DO NOT use Cal Hypo any more. It adds Calcium to your pool and you don't want any more in there. Use Clorox or liquid chlorine.

You are finished shocking when....

1. Your water is crystal clear.
    2. You lose less than 1.0 FC during the FC overnight loss test
    3. Your CC's test is .5 or less

You're close (Nice work so far ) but you have a little more to do so your pool will stay sparkling all summer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dave, what bothers me is that at the end of last season Leslies said my cya was 99 and I would have to replace water. I dont want it that high but could it change thru the winter that much.
    28K,IG,Plaster,1HP Amer Std, 48 Sq' Titan Vert Grid DT Filter, Hayward Auto Chlorinator, Jandy Ray Vac Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA can sometimes disappear over the winter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School