Master control for pool electronics needed?

ivyleager

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
Raleigh-Durham,NC
Here's my pool electronics set up below.

Poolelectronicsjpg.jpg

I desperately want to add a swg but don't want another ugly box on my house, and am looking to hopefully have an integrated panel. I'd rather have as few electrical boxes as possible. I don't have water features, dedicated booster pump, just bare basics. I'd like the option of a remote to turn the pool lights on/off from the house. Any suggestions? (My pool guy claims he has never installed an single control unit on a pool before, so he's clueless, but I'm assuming an electrician worth his "salt" would be able to figure anything out).

Thanks.

Cary

First, the Safety Volt box is the transformer for the underwater pool light.

There are a couple of different ways to do this, none of them ideal in your situation. The simplest is to get a larger box, and simply install all of the existing boxes inside of it. Another approach would be to a mid-range or high end automation system, which combines several functions into one box (breaker panel, remote control, SWG power, etc).

JasonLion said:
First, the Safety Volt box is the transformer for the underwater pool light.

There are a couple of different ways to do this, none of them ideal in your situation. The simplest is to get a larger box, and simply install all of the existing boxes inside of it. Another approach would be to a mid-range or high end automation system, which combines several functions into one box (breaker panel, remote control, SWG power, etc).

Yes, I think that is what I'm looking for. The basic searches I've done thus far have turned up fairly high end digital control units that incorporate water features, pool cleaners, floor cleaning systems, lights, ad nauseum. Pretty sure I don't need that much control (hubby would disagree!!!). Pool installers around my neck of the woods have not been helpful on this issue. They just don't do them.

Cary

JasonLion said:
Take a look at the Hayward Aqua Plus system, for a little more than a good SWG you also get a basic automation system with circuit breakers in the main box.

That's the one I found initially, and Haward swg's seem to have favorable reviews here. Thanks Jason.

So, tell me, why does a pool light need that big of a voltage box? (Ask me anything related to kinesiology or biomechanical joint force reactions and I'm good. Electronics, meh!)

Other posts are correct that the "safety volt" box is a transformer. That is poured and sealed at the factory. The only opening is on the bottom for connections. You cannot reduce the size of it. It is sized according to your load( ie lights). You also cannot place that inside another box. It needs to have air flow around it.

Changing out the controls should be a fairly simple task. With automation you can lose the breaker panel, timer, and the light switch. Replace the panel with the control box (with a built in timer) and wire the transformer through a relay to be controlled by remote.

Maybe something like this??

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Produc ... enter.aspx

If you're looking for a remote control for the lights, the Jandy Aqualink PDA works with the power center and can turn lights and pump on/off, control valve actuators, solar heat, gas heat etc etc. You can also set timers for all these things. But of course, you have to pay for all this convenience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.