Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Master control for pool electronics needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Master control for pool electronics needed?

Here's my pool electronics set up below.

I desperately want to add a swg but don't want another ugly box on my house, and am looking to hopefully have an integrated panel. I'd rather have as few electrical boxes as possible. I don't have water features, dedicated booster pump, just bare basics. I'd like the option of a remote to turn the pool lights on/off from the house. Any suggestions? (My pool guy claims he has never installed an single control unit on a pool before, so he's clueless, but I'm assuming an electrician worth his "salt" would be able to figure anything out).

Thanks.

Cary
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Master control for pool electronics needed?

First, the Safety Volt box is the transformer for the underwater pool light.

There are a couple of different ways to do this, none of them ideal in your situation. The simplest is to get a larger box, and simply install all of the existing boxes inside of it. Another approach would be to a mid-range or high end automation system, which combines several functions into one box (breaker panel, remote control, SWG power, etc).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    First, the Safety Volt box is the transformer for the underwater pool light.

There are a couple of different ways to do this, none of them ideal in your situation. The simplest is to get a larger box, and simply install all of the existing boxes inside of it. Another approach would be to a mid-range or high end automation system, which combines several functions into one box (breaker panel, remote control, SWG power, etc).
    Yes, I think that is what I'm looking for. The basic searches I've done thus far have turned up fairly high end digital control units that incorporate water features, pool cleaners, floor cleaning systems, lights, ad nauseum. Pretty sure I don't need that much control (hubby would disagree!!!). Pool installers around my neck of the woods have not been helpful on this issue. They just don't do them.

Cary
    CaryB

4. Back To Top    #4

Take a look at the Hayward Aqua Plus system, for a little more than a good SWG you also get a basic automation system with circuit breakers in the main box.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Take a look at the Hayward Aqua Plus system, for a little more than a good SWG you also get a basic automation system with circuit breakers in the main box.
    That's the one I found initially, and Haward swg's seem to have favorable reviews here. Thanks Jason.

So, tell me, why does a pool light need that big of a voltage box? (Ask me anything related to kinesiology or biomechanical joint force reactions and I'm good. Electronics, meh!)
    CaryB

6. Back To Top    #6

It doesn't need a box that big, but it is easier to service when it is in a larger box.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Unless you are using LED lights you are going to need a pretty big transformer.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Other posts are correct that the "safety volt" box is a transformer. That is poured and sealed at the factory. The only opening is on the bottom for connections. You cannot reduce the size of it. It is sized according to your load( ie lights). You also cannot place that inside another box. It needs to have air flow around it.

Changing out the controls should be a fairly simple task. With automation you can lose the breaker panel, timer, and the light switch. Replace the panel with the control box (with a built in timer) and wire the transformer through a relay to be controlled by remote.
    18x40 IG Vinyl Salt Water Sport Floor
    Auto Cover
    Goldline PS-8 w/Light Module (2) 120v LEDS
    Hayward T-Cell-15
    Aquapod
    1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Heat Pump
    Deck Jets
    Steps and In-pool Bench w/Jets
    (3) Motorized Valves

9. Back To Top    #9

Maybe something like this??

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Produc ... enter.aspx

If you're looking for a remote control for the lights, the Jandy Aqualink PDA works with the power center and can turn lights and pump on/off, control valve actuators, solar heat, gas heat etc etc. You can also set timers for all these things. But of course, you have to pay for all this convenience.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre