Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repairing Diving Board Base

1. Back To Top    #1

Repairing Diving Board Base

Hi,

I bought our house in the winter and now that we're opening the pool we found an issue with the diving board base. It looks like the holes where the screws go have seen a lot of rotting and I am nervous about installing the diving board. You can see the issue in the attached picture. I've talked with the previous owner and he said it isn't an issue as he used very large washers. I also contacted someone about getting it repaired and he also talked about 'fixing it with custom washers'. Should I simply install the large washers or is there something I should do to repair it?

Thanks for all your advice,

Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18,000 gallon in-ground oasis shaped, PebbleTec surface, connected spa; Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump; IntelliChlor SWG; Pentair Clean & Clear 150 sqft Cartridge Filter; Pentair heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repairing Diving Board Base

Is this base fiberglass over a wood core? What does the bottom look like? Is it enclosed in fiberglass too? If so, I'm thinking boat repair shop. If the core is gone, there's dang little strength in the glass itself. Water damage to enclosed wood is like an iceberg....you can only see 10% of it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've repaired and replaced many boat transom's and the only proper way is to remove and replace core/substrate. Seeing 10% is problably the least of the damage. For peace of mind, a new one vs repair, may not be much off imho.
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Is this base fiberglass over a wood core? What does the bottom look like? Is it enclosed in fiberglass too? If so, I'm thinking boat repair shop. If the core is gone, there's dang little strength in the glass itself. Water damage to enclosed wood is like an iceberg....you can only see 10% of it.
    I think it is wood with a fiberglass covering. So there's nothing I can do to fix this? Do you know how much a repair like this would cost?

Craig
    18,000 gallon in-ground oasis shaped, PebbleTec surface, connected spa; Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump; IntelliChlor SWG; Pentair Clean & Clear 150 sqft Cartridge Filter; Pentair heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Could I not use a wood filler like http://www.homedepot.ca/product/high-pe ... ler/911366 around the holes?

Craig

6. Back To Top    #6

If the core is weak that's not going to help. That's a filler thats more cosmetic that strong. New board will be cheaper than first hospital bill.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you ever find a way to replace the wood in the board? I just recently bought a house as well with a board that is dropping a bit of wood in the area where the pressure is heavy. I'd love to just replace the wood core vs. buy a new $800 board. Let me know any more insight you might have! Thanks.
    Above ground pool
    13,500 gallons
    Pentair 0185 125cartridge filter
    24' round, 48" deep AG pool, 2 spd. 2.5 hp Waterway pump