rate of chlorine consumption qusetions

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
is chlorine consumption (sanitation & UV breakdown) the same for different ppm levels? in other words would i spend the same amount of chlorination agent in these two scenarios:

let's say i lose 2 ppm of chlorine per day and my good range is 3-7 ppm.

scenario 1: i add 2ppm every day and keep chlorine in 4-6 range
scenario 2: i add 4ppm every other day and keep chlorine in 3-7 range.

?

another question:

let's say for 2 ppm per day loss and 40 CYA i lose 1 ppm for good cause and 1 ppm due to UV breakdown. will the same be true if say my CYA is 120? or would i lose 1ppm for sanitation and only 0.5 for UV? if later is the case then it might make sense to keep CYA pretty high since one would need less chlorine to maintain the proper level. the initial investment to get to high chlorine level will be higher, but day to day maintenance would require less chlorine.

i think there was a post by chemgeek regarding high levels of CYA, but i can't find it and i don't remember if it was relevant to my train of thoughts in this post :)

Assuming the CYA level remains constant, then chlorine loss is a percentage of the starting FC level. That means starting the morning at 7 will lose more chlorine than starting the day at 6. Likewise adding chlorine every other day will lose noticeably more chlorine because the first days level will need to be higher so you will lose lots extra on the first day.

With few people swimming, almost all of the chlorine that goes away is lost to sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.