Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did we break the sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Did we break the sand filter?

On 5/28 we vacuumed, and after cleaning the basket at the pump, the dh forgot to turn the filter from closed to filter. It ran on closed for a couple of minutes before he realized it. Everything seemed ok until 4 days later when I noticed a possible leak and water near the pump and filter. He will be home this a.m. and we are going to check for a leak then. Wondering if we damaged the filter at that time and how often do you change the sand in a filter? Thank you!
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Did we break the sand filter?

You may have sprung a leak at one of the pvc connections close to the pump but probably did no damage to the pump. I have never changed my sand in 7 years and have no plans to. I clean it every year and that's it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I figured if it was the filter it would have acted up before then. So I checked in pool school and search but couldn't find it, how exactly do you clean the sand?
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Assuming you have a multi-port valve, remove that valve and the top of the sand bed will be exposed. Inspect it. There may not be anything in there but sand. Many of them, however, have a layer of "junk built up that, if left alone, will get crusty and negatively impact the way the filter works. Physically remove as much junk as you can then, stick a grade hose a couple of inches down into the sand and let the water flow continue to loosen the sand and remove the debris. You should end up with a nice clean level bed of sand about 2/3 full in the filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School