Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Keeping a cast dry?

Keeping a cast dry?

Does anybody know how to keep an arm cast dry while swimming? My 2 year old broke his arm a couple weeks ago and hates it when we tell him he can't go swimming We tried garbage bags and duct tape, but it leaked after only a few minutes. We asked the doctor about waterproof casts, but they didn't have them.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

Re: Keeping a cast dry?

... stay out of the water.
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    ... stay out of the water.
    yeah, I got that covered, it's kinda tough to see him stand at the window and stare at the pool that he isn't able to use
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.

Trilogy Fiberglass Picasso 5400 gallons
    Intelliflo 3050 with EasyTouch. Polaris 9300xi
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP320 Cartridge 320 sq. ft.
    IC20 Pentair SWG. Heat Siphon Z375. TF100

Has anyone used the product in the above post? Does it really work?

Good morning,

We used a thing purchased from a medical specialty supply place that slipped over the arm and then a pump was used to remove all the air. It was very tight, and it dd seem to keep my daughter's cast dry through several days of swimming. However, the last time we used it, water did get inside somehow. Not sure if I failed to get it airtight to start with or if my little one pulled at it, but the cast had to come off. Fortunately it was supposed to come off soon anyway, so the doc did not replace it.

The thing we used was very hard to get on and off. Hope you figure something out. It sure is hard to keep the little ones out of the water.

Cheryl
    Kenton, TN
    21200AG sand filter
    Cheryl Reddin
    Kenton, TN
    21200 gal., AG vinyl, ? HP, two speed Millennium A.O. Smith Century Lasar pump, sand filter

As an ER RN, I'm gonna just say that this is one of those times when you are just going to have to be the parent, get tough, and say no. There isn't anything that is watertight for this purpose. It's simple to put a trash bag over it in the bathtub for the purpose of taking a bath, but for swimming, there is nothing and it is a flat out no-no to swim with a cast. Went through the same thing with my daughter when she was 3 and my stance was that sometimes, you have to do things that you don't want to do as this is life.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Tough as it may be.........excellent opportunity for a life lesson. We wish him well!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

Concrete cast? Couple o sticks of rebar in there for reinforcement? Develop good shoulder muscles too from lugging it around!

Please don't do this
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    Concrete cast? Couple o sticks of rebar in there for reinforcement? Develop good shoulder muscles too from lugging it around!

Please don't do this
    Remind me to not seek help from you in times of illness or injury.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag

Remind me to not seek help from you in times of illness or injury.
    My most frequent admonitions are "walk it off" and "rub some dirt in it!"

I did take extra special care with a hydroblast injury I recently sustained while pressurewashing after the dig tho. Those can be nasty. Shoulda worn proper clothing no matter how hot it was.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

the thing Digitallychallenged works perfect.. My daughter used on for the entire summer and we had no problems. she just had to take it easy in the pool.. But at least she can cool off

My son has about 2 weeks to go before he gets the cast off. We try to keep him busy with other things and not thinking about the pool Our power was out today for a few hours, and all I wanted to do was just jump in the pool to cool off, but thanks to the broken arm, I had to fire up the generator(fuel prices really hurt my wallet )to run the air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac

Please don't do this
    I worked with rebar for 8 yrs ... yes - this works very well. Try to get No. 5 or 6 bar - anything less tends to bend easily. :P

Please don't do this!!!!!!!!!
    Flotsam
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student