trying to get the pool balanced

May 30, 2011
ok I went to the pool store today and got my water tested. Here are my results:

fc .5 (they said this was due to my cya being 0) my swg is at 80%. I should probably mention I got the water sample after the generator had only been on 2hrs of the 6 hour cycle
tac .5
ph 7.8
ta 100-110
cya 0
calcium hardness 150
salt 3100
phosphates 100

Here is the steps they told me to take.

add 8lbs of hardness plus.
next add 2 gal of instant conditioner. (i only bought one to start)
monitor chlorine % and results once the cya is up
I got some alkalinity + to raise that a little.
Am I missing anything?
I added the 8lbs of hard+ almost 6hrs ago
how long to I need to wait to add the conditioner and alk + and should I do one before the other

Sorry for the 60 questions

It takes a while for conditioner (CYA) to dissolve, several days. is Your CYA truly zero? If so chlorine level ok to be less, but 0.5 cutting it too low. Get some bleach to support chlorine until CYA above 30 and your chlorine generator can keep up with demand. Watch pH - generator will cause it to go up, adding CYA will add downward pressure. Frequent testing will be a must. Not sure why you need alkalinity plus, you are already too high there.

Add chlorine until swg can keep up when adequate stabilizer is there
Add stabilizer (conditioner or CYA all the same) will take days to get to level
Test test test
Adjust pH - between swg and adding cya it may be fairly stable
then increase CH, but get above in order first
With CH low err on higher side of pH as you are now, but don't go over 8
Get TA down to 70 by aeration, but only after adequate CH since this also requires pushing down pH

I have been told my cya is probably zero because it's a brand new pool and new water. I was a little confused on the alkalinity advice the store gave ao I didn't buy what they were suggesting. And I error'd on the side of caution and only bought half the conditioner and ch+ they told me to until I could get some advice from the pros (you guys)

UJ,

I would.....

1. Pour a large jug of Clorox into the pool ASAP. That'll give you some sanitation.

2. Purchase and apply 2 more gallons of conditioner (CYA) you have only put in enough for 20ppm (you need around 60-80 with an SWG pool) and that's why you have inadequate chlorine in the pool.

3. Post back and tell us how your water looks.

4. Disregard your other parameters until you get the CYA/FC relationship established so your pool will remain clear. You should be shooting for CYA 60-80 and FC of about 3-5ppm.

The water looks clear and clean. I added the calcium + very first because I was told that had to be done first. Obviously I was told wrong. I added the bottle of conditioner about 7 hrs later and left the pump on all night. I will go buy some more. Do I need to do anything about the alk or are my numbers ok there?

Ok here is an update. Im waiting for my test kit so i took another sample back to leslies. After adding 8lbs of calcium plus I went from 150 to 180
3 gal of liquid conditioner went from 0 to 100 (seems like a big jump. I wAs hoping to end up at 80) could this be due to no sun today at all. Heavy clouds and lots of wind
Fac and tac both at 5
Ph 7.9 and alk 120. I just added half a gal of muriatic acid to bring those down

Any advice would be much appreciated

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems very unlikely that CYA is really 100. One of the CYA tests, either this one or the previous one (or both), must be wrong. Hopefully this test is wrong. Everything else looks promising.

How does the water look?

It looks good. I'm going to a different pool store in the morning and will have them test as well. Im thinking the girl at leslies doesn't knownwhat she is doing. Yet.

What about my ch. Should i raise that more or am I good where I'm at?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.