Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trying to get the pool balanced

1. Back To Top    #1

trying to get the pool balanced

ok I went to the pool store today and got my water tested. Here are my results:

fc .5 (they said this was due to my cya being 0) my swg is at 80%. I should probably mention I got the water sample after the generator had only been on 2hrs of the 6 hour cycle
    tac .5
    ph 7.8
    ta 100-110
    cya 0
    calcium hardness 150
    salt 3100
    phosphates 100

Here is the steps they told me to take.

add 8lbs of hardness plus.
    next add 2 gal of instant conditioner. (i only bought one to start)
    monitor chlorine % and results once the cya is up
    I got some alkalinity + to raise that a little.
    Am I missing anything?
    I added the 8lbs of hard+ almost 6hrs ago
    how long to I need to wait to add the conditioner and alk + and should I do one before the other

Sorry for the 60 questions
    18,000 gal ig salt pool krystalkrete plaster 7x10 raised spa w/ 2 spillovers
    4x20 wet deck, waterfall, 17ft infinity edge, deck jets, nexxus lighting
    Jandy pumps & controls, Aquapalm PDA, 400k heater, Kleen Machine robot
    (6) 4x12 solar panels, clear solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: trying to get the pool balanced

It takes a while for conditioner (CYA) to dissolve, several days. is Your CYA truly zero? If so chlorine level ok to be less, but 0.5 cutting it too low. Get some bleach to support chlorine until CYA above 30 and your chlorine generator can keep up with demand. Watch pH - generator will cause it to go up, adding CYA will add downward pressure. Frequent testing will be a must. Not sure why you need alkalinity plus, you are already too high there.

Add chlorine until swg can keep up when adequate stabilizer is there
    Add stabilizer (conditioner or CYA all the same) will take days to get to level
    Test test test
    Adjust pH - between swg and adding cya it may be fairly stable
    then increase CH, but get above in order first
    With CH low err on higher side of pH as you are now, but don't go over 8
    Get TA down to 70 by aeration, but only after adequate CH since this also requires pushing down pH
    35x19 15,000 gal, SWG, Pentair equip, 100% solar coverage, 400K heater, 9x7 spa Inground 3M Bora Bora with Dark Gray plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been told my cya is probably zero because it's a brand new pool and new water. I was a little confused on the alkalinity advice the store gave ao I didn't buy what they were suggesting. And I error'd on the side of caution and only bought half the conditioner and ch+ they told me to until I could get some advice from the pros (you guys)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

UJ,

I would.....

1. Pour a large jug of Clorox into the pool ASAP. That'll give you some sanitation.

2. Purchase and apply 2 more gallons of conditioner (CYA) you have only put in enough for 20ppm (you need around 60-80 with an SWG pool) and that's why you have inadequate chlorine in the pool.

3. Post back and tell us how your water looks.

4. Disregard your other parameters until you get the CYA/FC relationship established so your pool will remain clear. You should be shooting for CYA 60-80 and FC of about 3-5ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been told my cya is probably zero because it's a brand new pool and new water
    CYA will only be in water if you put it there. How NEW is your pool?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Brand new. Built last fall and drained this spring and acid washed and than filled

7. Back To Top    #7

The water looks clear and clean. I added the calcium + very first because I was told that had to be done first. Obviously I was told wrong. I added the bottle of conditioner about 7 hrs later and left the pump on all night. I will go buy some more. Do I need to do anything about the alk or are my numbers ok there?

8. Back To Top    #8

Your TA is a little high, but not a big deal. I suggest lowering PH to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8 (ie right now) until the TA level comes down to 70 or so.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thanks. The pool store told me I wanted to be at 120-130 for ta because I have a swg glad I have you guys

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok here is an update. Im waiting for my test kit so i took another sample back to leslies. After adding 8lbs of calcium plus I went from 150 to 180
    3 gal of liquid conditioner went from 0 to 100 (seems like a big jump. I wAs hoping to end up at 80) could this be due to no sun today at all. Heavy clouds and lots of wind
    Fac and tac both at 5
    Ph 7.9 and alk 120. I just added half a gal of muriatic acid to bring those down

Any advice would be much appreciated

11. Back To Top    #11

It seems very unlikely that CYA is really 100. One of the CYA tests, either this one or the previous one (or both), must be wrong. Hopefully this test is wrong. Everything else looks promising.

How does the water look?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

It looks good. I'm going to a different pool store in the morning and will have them test as well. Im thinking the girl at leslies doesn't knownwhat she is doing. Yet.

What about my ch. Should i raise that more or am I good where I'm at?

13. Back To Top    #13

You still want to raise CH up to 250 or more, but taking a couple of days to do that is fine.

14. Back To Top    #14

Jason you were right. Went to a different store. They tested my cya twice and came iut at 55 for both. Calcium was at 180 so i added another 8lbs. Im thinking that should get md between 220-230

15. Back To Top    #15