Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small Black Round Things

1. Back To Top    #1

Small Black Round Things

My pool has always had these 5mm in diameter round black slightly convex deposits stuck to the plaster. I can scrape them off with my fingernail but they are not affected by brushing. They scape up as one piece...I hate to say like a scab (guess I just did). The pool is next to a rather large oak tree that does have lots of debris. Any ideas what the deposits are? They are getting much more numerous and I don't know what to do.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (Tulsa, OK; 24K-30K Gallons; Triton Sand Filter; IG Plaster; Hayward Super II Pump ?Flow Rate?; Polaris 380 & Booster Pump (2003); Well Water (acidic but no metals & normal CH); Teledyne Laars XE Pool & Spa Heater (Natural Gas - Not Operational))

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Small Black Round Things

Pictures always help ....
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Round, black, getting much more numerous.......Black algae?

Are you brushing with a wire brush?

Have you tried rubbing with a trichlor tab?

If it is BA, you need to shock and brush and brush to keep the tops knocked off so the chlorine can kill it.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Agreeing with Butterfly's analysis, I suspect black algae as well.

Sounds like you need to shock the pool. Pool School will tell you the procedure that needs to be followed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Could it be some sort of tree sap?

If you think it might be black algae, move that return so its pointing towards those black things and see if they go away. I don't think its black algae though.

Florida Pool Service Guy
    15k Kidney Diamond Brite
    Hayward C-1200 Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glass 1.5hp Pump
    Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator
    Heliocol Solar Panels

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm testing pool later this morning but I've had these since buying the pool and I've only had a CC reading higher than .5 once...and that was in November when the oak tree was hating me.

The concentrations tend to be on the opposite side of the return nozzles. I have not used a wire brush...is that ok on plaster?

I don't think I own any trichlor tabs...previous owner I believe just shocked the pool once a week. His dogs swam in pool so I always thought it was related.

Now that it is getting a bit worse I guess I have to consider algae or something seasonal from the tree.
    (Tulsa, OK; 24K-30K Gallons; Triton Sand Filter; IG Plaster; Hayward Super II Pump ?Flow Rate?; Polaris 380 & Booster Pump (2003); Well Water (acidic but no metals & normal CH); Teledyne Laars XE Pool & Spa Heater (Natural Gas - Not Operational))

7. Back To Top    #7

So you're saying that when you scrap them off the whole thing comes off clean (or almost)?

If it's black algae when you crush them, the inside is green and slimy, just like regular green algae.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I have not used a wire brush...is that ok on plaster?
    Use a wire brush or a combo brush or you can get a smaller wire algae brush.

Nylon ain't gonna do nothing for BA in a plaster pool but make it mad.

ETA: Even if it turns out not to be BA, you need a wire or wire combo brush for your plaster pool.
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Found better info for recommending brushes:

Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anyting other than a nylon brush.

10. Back To Top    #10

Small Black Round Things

This is a poor pic of the stuff on my fingers. It is very flat and does not seem to have a green type center. I'll test pool once the kids let me and I'll pick up a wire brush today. The stuff seems to like crevices of course. If it were algae wouldn't I have had CC readings higher than .05? Thanks for help.

11. Back To Top    #11

Small Black Round Things

Just checked pool CC is .5. Can I have algae and an acceptable CC level?

I need to add bleach and muratic acid per calculator.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Can I have algae and an acceptable CC level?
    Yes.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by WetBehindTheEars
    This is a poor pic of the stuff on my fingers. It is very flat and does not seem to have a green type center.
    Rub/squish it on a white piece of thick paper. If it stains it green (even dark green), then it's algae.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

+1: Looks like BA to me...
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

15. Back To Top    #15

I had a large out break of Black Algae myself. I scrubbed each head off individually with a pumic stone, brought the CL up to 20 and brushed with a stainless steel brush everyday for about 5 days. Black algae is now gone!
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok. I tried the paper test and my wife (used to be a printer) did not think it looked green. But see picture...where I brushed with metal brush yesterday looks much better. I can't risk full blown BA so I will treat this as such regardless. After the boys swim this evening I will ramp up the bleach and go for a good burn. Any suggestions beyond FC of 15 to 24 sustained for the week with regular metal brush scrubbing?

Yesterdays readings before adding bleach and 32oz of muratic acid.
    FC 1.0 / 5 goal
    CC .5
    pH 7.8 /7.4 goal
    TA 80 / 79 goal
    CH 470 / 350 goal (slowly coming down)
    CYA 40 / 40 goal
    CSI .34
    TEMP 78

17. Back To Top    #17

Shock level........ What is your CYA level?

18. Back To Top    #18

Butterfly...40 CYA...I was editing while you were typing.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by WetBehindTheEars
    Butterfly...40 CYA...I was editing while you were typing.

Okay, your plan sounds good.