Chrlorine is way high, what's the best course of action?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Ok, R-0600 (daily chlorine test drops) and R-0003 (Chlroine Drop Test) are not the same. But you already knew that, as did I. But, run out of R-0600 and replace it with R-0003 (cleverly disquised as R-0600, i.e. the same yellow cap) and you'll have some issues. Ask me how I know. I know because my young daughter is crying while she pees :grrrr: :grrrr:

For two days, I couldnt' figure why my Chlorine wouldn't hold. I had tools in hand, ready to remove the new wedding cake steps and check for algae. In stead, I dumped another 180ozs of 6% bleach at 7:00, that's after dumpine about 40ozs in at 5:00. The kids swam, I tested and my Chlorine was less than 1, WTH I thought.

I have 4 spare bottles of R-0600, all with a yellow cap and one bottle of the R-0003, same yellow cap. So, for 2 days, I've been performing a daily chlorine test with the R-0003, and thinking I was losing chlorine.

The burning while urination is obviously the big concern. My wife now tells me that my daughter experienced this much more mildly last year and no one thought to tell me! Now that I know, I'll keep my levels at a strict minimum. I'm told by doctors there's not much else one can do.

Anyway, my chlorine is off the charts. i drained a couple hundred gallons, in the hopes of the kids actually using the pool tomorrow, and refilled to proper level.

Is leaving the pump on overnight better, worse, indifferent? I normally don't run it overnight at all.

Aside from me peeing in the pool :-D , is there anything else I can do to reduce the level of chlorine. My father of the year award is in serious jeapordy.

have you tested since you did the partial drain and refill? I am curious becuase I am considering doing this cause my FC is high as well and we really want to swim.

From my understanding from asking Sun and or Partial Drain and Refill is the only way, The sun is going to be your best friend :) But I will watch your thread to find out about the pump as I am curious as well..

With FC that are so high...your probablly good to go on pee'ing in the pool!! :whoot:

You can get some thiosulfate if you can find it. It's a chlorine neutralizer.

My biggest question is why didn't you use the FAS-DPD after a time or two of getting no chlorine. Not trying to beat you up because you've probably already done that.

Bama Rambler said:
You can get some thiosulfate if you can find it. It's a chlorine neutralizer.

My biggest question is why didn't you use the FAS-DPD after a time or two of getting no chlorine. Not trying to beat you up because you've probably already done that.

I'm not sure who the bigger idiot is, me or the guy who painted the caps of those bottles the same color yellow.

I did let it go for two days, figuring the steps "could" be an issue. So, tonight I had the time and thought, I'll do a drop test. But first, I'll do a daily. When the daily came up zero, I figured, it's 5:00, I'll add some chlorine, let them, swin from 6 to 7 and go from there. Then at 7:00, still showing only .5, I thought, well I have to get a decent number before doing a drop test, so I'll add more chlorine, run the filter, and do a drop test around 10PM.

I got carried away adding the bleach at 7:00, figuring, well, I probably didn't shock this thing well enough last week, partly because we were finishing up our splash deck and fussing with the wedding steps. So I was only half paying attention to the shock process. I think that was my biggest mistake. If I was confident enough in that intial shock AND trusted my nose, I would have looked for other answers. But I trusted the daily test kit and using the wrong chemical, it's now a real mess. Using just 3 drops of R-0600, the test water is almost orange :grrrr:

Is it worth performing any test before tomorrow, will ranges that high?

Butterfly said:
Could we see a full set of water test results?

FC is 42 x .5, so 21
CC is 0
PH 8.0
CYA less than 20, probably 10, as the test water is VERY hazey at the top of the tube. I've been working on raising that, as it was zilch last week.
TA 120
PH was 7.3-7.5 the other night.

To be honest, with everything going on construction-wise, I didn't do a complete test before shocking. I planned on that this weekend, starting tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very sorry this happened to your daughter. I am sure the dr. already told you this, but she can use diaper rash cream on her privates and it will block the urine from touching the area and BURNING. Years ago my husband and I were intimate in a hot tub that was double dosed with chemicals. Lots of soaking in a cool tub and reapplying the diaper rash cream frequently was the only thing that got me through it. If interested, you might share this with your wife. Just keep it external.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.