Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chrlorine is way high, what's the best course of action?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chrlorine is way high, what's the best course of action?

Ok, R-0600 (daily chlorine test drops) and R-0003 (Chlroine Drop Test) are not the same. But you already knew that, as did I. But, run out of R-0600 and replace it with R-0003 (cleverly disquised as R-0600, i.e. the same yellow cap) and you'll have some issues. Ask me how I know. I know because my young daughter is crying while she pees

For two days, I couldnt' figure why my Chlorine wouldn't hold. I had tools in hand, ready to remove the new wedding cake steps and check for algae. In stead, I dumped another 180ozs of 6% bleach at 7:00, that's after dumpine about 40ozs in at 5:00. The kids swam, I tested and my Chlorine was less than 1, WTH I thought.

I have 4 spare bottles of R-0600, all with a yellow cap and one bottle of the R-0003, same yellow cap. So, for 2 days, I've been performing a daily chlorine test with the R-0003, and thinking I was losing chlorine.

The burning while urination is obviously the big concern. My wife now tells me that my daughter experienced this much more mildly last year and no one thought to tell me! Now that I know, I'll keep my levels at a strict minimum. I'm told by doctors there's not much else one can do.

Anyway, my chlorine is off the charts. i drained a couple hundred gallons, in the hopes of the kids actually using the pool tomorrow, and refilled to proper level.

Is leaving the pump on overnight better, worse, indifferent? I normally don't run it overnight at all.

Aside from me peeing in the pool , is there anything else I can do to reduce the level of chlorine. My father of the year award is in serious jeapordy.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chrlorine is way high, what's the best course of action?

have you tested since you did the partial drain and refill? I am curious becuase I am considering doing this cause my FC is high as well and we really want to swim.

From my understanding from asking Sun and or Partial Drain and Refill is the only way, The sun is going to be your best friend But I will watch your thread to find out about the pump as I am curious as well..

With FC that are so high...your probablly good to go on pee'ing in the pool!!
    12'x30" Intex AG 1,485g pool, w/530gph cartidge filter

3. Back To Top    #3

You can get some thiosulfate if you can find it. It's a chlorine neutralizer.

My biggest question is why didn't you use the FAS-DPD after a time or two of getting no chlorine. Not trying to beat you up because you've probably already done that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Could we see a full set of water test results?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You can get some thiosulfate if you can find it. It's a chlorine neutralizer.

My biggest question is why didn't you use the FAS-DPD after a time or two of getting no chlorine. Not trying to beat you up because you've probably already done that.
    I'm not sure who the bigger idiot is, me or the guy who painted the caps of those bottles the same color yellow.

I did let it go for two days, figuring the steps "could" be an issue. So, tonight I had the time and thought, I'll do a drop test. But first, I'll do a daily. When the daily came up zero, I figured, it's 5:00, I'll add some chlorine, let them, swin from 6 to 7 and go from there. Then at 7:00, still showing only .5, I thought, well I have to get a decent number before doing a drop test, so I'll add more chlorine, run the filter, and do a drop test around 10PM.

I got carried away adding the bleach at 7:00, figuring, well, I probably didn't shock this thing well enough last week, partly because we were finishing up our splash deck and fussing with the wedding steps. So I was only half paying attention to the shock process. I think that was my biggest mistake. If I was confident enough in that intial shock AND trusted my nose, I would have looked for other answers. But I trusted the daily test kit and using the wrong chemical, it's now a real mess. Using just 3 drops of R-0600, the test water is almost orange

Is it worth performing any test before tomorrow, will ranges that high?

6. Back To Top    #6

Just wait 'til tomorrow Check FC/CC first and if still over 10ish, hold off of pH.

What was the pH before you started shocking?

Do you have all test results before you started shocking?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Could we see a full set of water test results?
    FC is 42 x .5, so 21
    CC is 0
    PH 8.0
    CYA less than 20, probably 10, as the test water is VERY hazey at the top of the tube. I've been working on raising that, as it was zilch last week.
    TA 120
    PH was 7.3-7.5 the other night.

To be honest, with everything going on construction-wise, I didn't do a complete test before shocking. I planned on that this weekend, starting tonight.

8. Back To Top    #8

For your 7,646 gallon pool, you can lower the FC by using regular 3 % hydrogen peroxide. 16 ounces will lower the FC by 1 ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

Didn't know the hydrogen peroxide trick... might come in handy some day.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by leopardjunkie

With FC that are so high...your probablly good to go on pee'ing in the pool!!

That's hilarious, how often do you get that kind of advice (and have it have some truth to it).
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Very sorry this happened to your daughter. I am sure the dr. already told you this, but she can use diaper rash cream on her privates and it will block the urine from touching the area and BURNING. Years ago my husband and I were intimate in a hot tub that was double dosed with chemicals. Lots of soaking in a cool tub and reapplying the diaper rash cream frequently was the only thing that got me through it. If interested, you might share this with your wife. Just keep it external.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!