Shocking the pool

Jun 3, 2011
Hi, after a 5-week wait we finally got our pool installed. It's an 18-ft, 52 inch above ground (7600 gallons, according to the calculator). The pool was filled with water as of Wednesday evening, but I didn't have the chance to take a water sample to the pool place, and get further instructions, until today. The lady said I needed to get it shocked asap or it will turn green, and sold me three bags of shock. She also gave me a plastic cup to put a water sample in tomorrow (after it's chlorinated).

I can't, for the life of me, remember if she said to use all three bags of shock this first time. I know she said we can't swim in it for approximately 8 hours afterward, which if I do it tonight would mean we can swim tomorrow. But I guess that's dependant on whether I use the correct amount or not. They're closed now and I can't call, and I don't want to push my luck by waiting another day.

If it makes a difference, the bags of shock are 1 lb, Dura-Shock brand.

So my questions are, does 3 bags in a 7600 gallon pool seem right for a first-time shock? And if so, will it be safe to swim in tomorrow if we put the shock in tonight?

Thanks!

Patty in TN.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Seems like a lot...especially if it is fresh fill water. What is the active ingredient in the "shock"? Shock is a process, not a product...that's just a marketing slogan. I see no harm in adding one bag for now to get some chlorine in, but you should really take the time to read through Pool School (link in my sig) and invest in a good testkit, such as the TF100 from Tftestkits.net or the Taylor K2006.

Okay, I suggest only one bag! (that's a/k/a dichlor)
Check out the Pool Calculator (link in my sig) on "effects of adding chemicals" located near the bottom of the calculator.

As dmanb2b said, off to Pool School for you :) and you really need a good test kit!
Your size pool should be an absolute piece of cake to take care of, seriously.
Start of right reading Pool School, post any q's here and you will be on easy street.

Pool School - big white button at top righ of every page!

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Okay, I added the one bag. Thanks!

I have to admit that I'm pretty sure she told me to add all three, and that we could swim again in 8 hours. And now I'm wondering -- if one is enough, why would she have told me three? I have young kids, and couldn't it potentially hurt them if we'd followed her instructions? I know a sale is a sale, but to put someone's safety last? It's really bothering me.

We call it being pool stored. Having your own kit will help confirm and give piece of mind you water is balanced. Read through pool school...your kiddies will thank you...mine do, no burning eyes or itchy skin :goodjob:

Using too much chlorine, and then waiting longer, is perfectly safe, it just costs more. Pool stores tend to recommend shocking the pool once a week just in case, while we recommend having a good test kit, knowing what is actually going on with your pool, and only shocking when something is wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.