Hi, after a 5-week wait we finally got our pool installed. It's an 18-ft, 52 inch above ground (7600 gallons, according to the calculator). The pool was filled with water as of Wednesday evening, but I didn't have the chance to take a water sample to the pool place, and get further instructions, until today. The lady said I needed to get it shocked asap or it will turn green, and sold me three bags of shock. She also gave me a plastic cup to put a water sample in tomorrow (after it's chlorinated).
I can't, for the life of me, remember if she said to use all three bags of shock this first time. I know she said we can't swim in it for approximately 8 hours afterward, which if I do it tonight would mean we can swim tomorrow. But I guess that's dependant on whether I use the correct amount or not. They're closed now and I can't call, and I don't want to push my luck by waiting another day.
If it makes a difference, the bags of shock are 1 lb, Dura-Shock brand.
So my questions are, does 3 bags in a 7600 gallon pool seem right for a first-time shock? And if so, will it be safe to swim in tomorrow if we put the shock in tonight?
Patty in TN.