Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well water for pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Well water for pool?

I tried to search for this but the words are too common and I didn't get great results so sorry for asking a question I'm sure has been asked a 1,000.
    We are having a designated well dug for our irrigation system. The previous owner spent about $500 a month in water bills to keep the grass green and that's just silly. I thought it might be a good idea to have access to a spigot we can attach a hose to for the pool so we don't have to pay for water to do major fills if we ever have to.
    Is this not a good idea because of mineral content?
    12K IG gunite, Pentair Intelliflo pump and 1 hp Pentair booster pump, Posi-Clear Sta-rite cartridge filter, IntelliChlor SWG and EasyTouch system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well water for pool?

Only way to know for sure is to have the well water tested
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Well water for pool?

itdmanb2b called it. Testing is the only way to really know what is in there. But is usually better to fill the pool from a municipal water supply, rather than to use a well. For one, pulling that much water from a well can put a bit of a strain on it. Secondly, well water, as you alluded to, does have the mineral problem. Of course, municipal water can have high TA levels and high calcium levels too, but it is almost always preferable to what you can pull from a well.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT