Returning after a lengthy absence - now handicapped...

Gooserider

LifeTime Supporter
I was quite active here a couple years back, but have had some major life changes that resulted in my not even opening the pool last year.

I had a serious accident while taking down a tree, that led to my having a ruptured aorta. The emergency surgery to fix that resulted in the blood supply to my spine being clamped down for to long, and I came out of surgery as a paraplegic.

Last year I was pretty much doing rehab and other stuff learning how to live in a wheelchair, and trying to make the house as accessible as possible (I can still only get to under 1/3 of it...)
I said that I'd only open the pool if I could use it, as it wasn't worth the effort to take care of it since.

We just purchased a used SR Smith "PAL" portable pool lift off E-bay, unfortunately the seller didn't tell us that the lift didn't come with it's special 24v Nicad battery pack, or the charger for it. (We are talking to the seller about this, if she fails to do something reasonable to correct this, she will not get a good feedback rating....) Any particularly recommended vendors for parts from SR Smith? I have their part numbers, but they don't sell to individual customers.

While I don't have the lift working yet, I did get the pool opened with much help from a friend, and was surprised at how reasonably good it looked even after a year and a half of being closed. It used to look worse after one winter back when I was pool storing it.... At any rate, I've been dumping a fair bit of liquid chlorine into it, along with 10 boxes of Borax, and using up a lot of our old supply of powder shock and chlorine tabs left over from the pool store days. (Figure this is a good time to use the old stuff as I need to bring up the CYA level at any rate)

The water looks great already, but there is a lot of crud on the floor in the shallow end - something is wrong with our Polaris pool cleaner - it just runs around in circles in the deep end, won't go up to the shallow end at all. (Suggestions on fixing, or links to relevant threads appreciated...)

I've also been dealing with the challenge of figuring out how to do pool care from a wheel chair. I don't have all the details down yet, but I'm working out some of them... I found a small hoe in my garage tool collection, and found that it works pretty well for fishing the floating debris out of the skimmer, and then if I put the blade under the metal handle, pulling the basket out for dumping. I've found that I can do water sampling by duct taping an empty plastic bottle to the end of a broomstick. If I then plunge the stick down into the water, most of the bottle filling water comes from about a foot down. I've also found that if I leave the front panel off my equipment shelter, I can prop the hinged roof up enough to work under it, and hinge the side out that I need to get to the backwash valve on the filter. Backwashing is still a pain as the valve is down near ground level and is hard to reach even with a "cheater pipe" It is also very stiff, and it is hard to get a good position to pull / push on it. I may talk to the GF about getting a different filter eventually, as even without my problems operating it, we have had trouble getting parts and such for it as it is a fairly obsolete unit.

I do need to figure out a better way to get the bleach into the pool. We've been getting the 5-gallon carboys of 12.5% from the pool store, which I have a pretty good bit of trouble moving around - can't pick them up, but it works OK when they are on the pool deck to push them around with the power chair... However I can't really measure how much I put in, I just push the carboy up to the edge of the pool, take the cap off and tip it so that it glugs in a bit... I know they make dispenser pumps for chlorine, but don't have a source. Other options might also be worth considering...

At any rate the chemistry is looking pretty decent, though it does need some fine tuning... (BTW, how long do the reagents in a TF100 kit last? I still have lots of everything but CYA, are they still accurate?)

Test results as of yesterday evening...

OTO chlorine was 1.5 FAS/DPD was 1.0 FC, 0.5 CC, so the TC matched the 1.5 I got with the OTO test
pH was 7.8
TA with the standard procedure was 31 drops, or 310, but when I did it with the smaller test volume alternate, I only got 11 drops, or 275 - seems like a lot of variance...
CH was 220, which seems low for a plaster pool
CYA was something below 20 - I used all the sample in the bottle, and could still see the black dot fairly well.
Borates were a tough call, but probably between 50 and 80

Sounds like I need to get some muriatic acid and drop the pH and TA to start with, along with adding some more CYA

Gooserider

Hey Goose...welcome back!

Your TF-100 reagents should be fine as long as you kept them in the house and out of the heat and sunlight.

I agree with lowering the pH. Your TA should come down on its own with acid additions to drop your pH down. You can follow the lowering TA procedure in Pool School if you want to get that TA down more quickly.

I'd add enough CYA to get you to at least 30 and don't let the FC fall too low.

Have you considered a SWG or a liquidator? The liquidator can be purchased online from a couple of different sources. I neither of those interest you, I'm thinking you could rig up a siphon system to measure out bleach. One of these Loc-Line flexible hose valves could be attached with clear tubing. Adapt a carboy cap to run the hose through to the bottom of the container, the valve a couple of inches outside the cap, and more clear tubing on the other side of the valve. Open the valve, use a nasal aspirator on the free end of the tubing to start the flow and either measure out chlorine into a smaller container, or if the sides of the carboy are marked, hold the tube over the return while the pump is running. Close the valve when the correct amount has been dispensed. You could do this at the side of the pool with a towel or floor mat to protect the deck from bleach stains if needed.

Another way to access the skimmer basket is to get a dowel 2-3 feet long and screw a heavy duty cup hook into one end. It could be used to pull out the skimmer basket. Also an aquarium net attached to a piece of dowel can be used to scoop debris out of the skimmer.

Thanks for the welcome back...

We have thought a little bit about an SWG, but right now it seems we have higher priorities than something that costs as much as an SWG - lots of expenses relating to my injury, plus a lot of other house upkeep expenses. At least this is assuming that the prices of around a grand that I've seen for a basic unit are about right...

The liquidator is something I don't know as much about, either exactly what it does or how much it costs...

The idea of that valve in a siphon zea3 mentioned would be possible but sounds complex. What I had remembered was a hand pump that screwed into a carboy and would dispense a couple of ounces per stroke... I did just do a quick Google search, and found a couple of possibilities in the $40-50 range, which does seem fairly reasonable.

Gooserider

Hey, Goose,

Good morning. You can purchase an on-off valve for that carboy that may be helpful. It screws on just like the lid and, if you can figure a way to get the carboy up on something and over on it's side, you now have a spigot from which to draw the required amount of chlorine. I'll try to post a pic here in a little bit.[attachment=0:3ui7lvn4]tem_carboyspigot.jpg[/attachment:3ui7lvn4]

Attachments

• tem_carboyspigot.jpg
    tem_carboyspigot.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 443
Dave, where did you find that spigot? I've been looking for something like that for ages.

Goose, welcome back! Your attitude and approach to life and solving problems are an inspiration. A temporary solution to the carboy issue might be a plastic siphon with a squeeze bulb. Dispense from the carboy into a smaller container. I fill a series of old bleach bottles from the carboy and use them to dose the pool. Keep a bucket of water handy to rinse the siphon, it doesn't last long with bleach left in it.

AnnaK said:
Dave, where did you find that spigot? I've been looking for something like that for ages.

Goose, welcome back! Your attitude and approach to life and solving problems are an inspiration. A temporary solution to the carboy issue might be a plastic siphon with a squeeze bulb. Dispense from the carboy into a smaller container. I fill a series of old bleach bottles from the carboy and use them to dose the pool. Keep a bucket of water handy to rinse the siphon, it doesn't last long with bleach left in it.

Back before I was injured I actually had made a set of crude measuring cups for bleach by cutting up old laundry bleach bottles - leave the handle part and the bottom, but cut out the top and side, then "calibrate" them by use of the kitchen measuring cups and drawing lines on them with a Sharpie... Problem is I can't really pick up the carboy and pour it any longer as that takes two hands and my chair is in the way. (Also heavy lifting, especially while leaned over, tends to make me have "accidents" :oops: )

However the siphon approach might be a reasonable way to deal with it - I have lots of old bottles as I save my empty jugs and heavy duty bottles to throw in the pool when winterizing it - this tends to keep the winter cover from sinking under the weight of snow and leaves and making "leaf tea". Only challenge may be finding a siphon bulb and hose material that will hold up to the bleach.

Gooserider

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The siphons I use are very inexpensive, made of plastic with white tubing and either red or blue squeeze bulbs. I used to get them at the auto parts store but they've 'upgraded' to more expensive models. ACE Hardware has them as does a locally owned hardware store, the sort of store where you buy nails by the pound out of bins and galvanized watering cans and fishing lures and, yes, wash boards even.

Anyway . . . if you can find a way to rinse the siphon in clear water after transferring the bleach it'll hold up for a season. And if you'll PM me your mailing address I'll send you one so you can try it out, see if that works for you, before you go hunting one down where you live .

Post the numbers, and pictures of the lift batteries {if you have them}.

A quick search came up with...

adasr1002000_l.jpg

http://b2b.bel-aqua.com/default.aspx?pa ... ASR1002000

Dave, where did you find that spigot?
I purchase 12% LQ from a business that sells, repairs, and provides LQ for Pressure Washers. I think they go through way over 500 gallons weekly of LQ...pretty big place :shock:

They keep the spigots in stock for $4-5 bucks. I googled that pic (carboy spigot 5 gal) so there are plenty available online but the shipping will probably make them pricier.

JoshU said:
Any particularly recommended vendors for parts from SR Smith? I have their part numbers, but they don't sell to individual customers.

What are the part numbers? I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks, The part numbers that I have are:

Battery - 100-2000
Charger - 100 - 3500
Cover - 920-2000 (this is supposed to be a cover that goes over the battery and actuator box to protect them from the weather - it is also missing, but I'm not sure how critical it is.)

ob1quixote - that photo looks like it might work, except I'm not sure the battery contacts are in the right place. I don't have the battery, but this is the spot where it goes:
IMG_3863.jpg

I put a tape measure in the shot for the next couple to show the scale...
IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

For amusement, this is how it came off the truck - somehow it made me think of the "Trojan Rabbit" from Monty Python & The Holy Grail :lol:
IMG_3853.jpg

This is what it looks like unwrapped -
IMG_3855.jpg

And this is the control box:
IMG_3869.jpg

There is also a corded remote control unit that will allow me to operate the lift from the seat, but I didn't take any pictures of that - it looks pretty simple at any rate, one set of buttons to pivot the seat boom, and one to make the seat go up and down... It satisfies my primary requirement of being something that I can use by myself, without needing an attendant...

The pool itself is looking reasonable - this afternoon I dumped in a bunch of chemistry to start getting stuff in order per the pool calculator - :whoot:
1 gallon of Muriatic acid to work on the pH and TA, 4lbs of calcium chloride to get the CH number up some, and 24 oz of CYA to start getting the stabilizer to where it should be. In each case the amount I put in was a lot less than the calculator called for, but I figure on "sneaking up" on the numbers. :whoot:

I do still have a lot of crud on the bottom of the pool, it seems my Polaris has something seriously wrong with it - it just does circles, mostly in the deep end, I fished it out this evening and found that the one wheel side feels like it is connected to the drive gears, but the two-wheel side seems to be just free wheeling - no gear grinding sounds, and not much resistance to turning... However, aside from the crud, the water looks great! :goodjob:

Gooserider

Cringing to a certain level - Just got a price quote from one vendor that my GF found - Battery Pack- $274.40, Charger-PAL- $104.56, Cover 519.12 :shock: This is the kind of cost that makes you really think about alternatives... I'm wondering about hooking up a couple of small 12v SLA batteries and a charger, or doing something along that line. Seems to me like that kind of charge for parts is what kills sales for a company... The seller is trying to connect me with a guy that does rebuilt packs, but he says he needs at least the shell of the original, which doesn't seem to help much since I don't have it...

Otherwise the pool is starting to look really nice other than the gruck on the bottom from the robot not working - I've ordered parts for that. Chemistry is looking a little better, Just did some of the tests last night

OTO - 1
pH 7.8 (no change even after 1gal of acid the night before, dumped in another gallon)
TA 250 (Using the 10ml sample procedure, slightly better than previous, and probably why the pH won't go down...)
CH 280 (significant increase, and now in a reasonable range for a plaster pool)

Pool Calc says my CSI is at 0.62, which is supposed to be "scaling likely" but I don't know just how critical the problem is. My guess is that the cause for it to be so high is the TA being so far out of line.

I've got about 24 oz. of CYA dissolving now, so I haven't done that test again (plus I'm almost out of reagent - have ordered more) I get a lot of tree debris, so I didn't want to use the sock in the skimmer approach. Instead I put the sock in one of my no longer used chlorine tab floaters. The floater seems to spend a lot of its time sitting in front of the skimmer, so I figure that it's almost as good... I'm hoping that once it dissolves, I will be reasonably close on the number.

As it is, I'd say the pool is borderline swimmable at this point, even if the bottom isn't pretty.

Gooserider

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.