Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF100 Alkalinity test question

1. Back To Top    #1

TF100 Alkalinity test question

When doing the TA test, am I looking for the drop to turn red, or the whole sample to turn red. My drop turns red way before my sample does. Also, if the answer is the sample, it goes to a "hot pink" color after so many drops.

TF50 test kit
    9800 gal.
    15x25 oval; AG
    Hayward sand filter with zeobrite; Hayward pump 1hp pro-max flow, or something like that, LOL!
    Southwest MO; hot/humid summers, full sun 8am-1pm, then shading begins.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF100 Alkalinity test question

The whole sample should turn red/pink. It is important to swirl the sample to fully mix the drop before adding the next drop.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Like James said, the whole thing. Mine goes from green to grey to pink, and usually one more drop makes it a much brighter pink. Anything past that makes no difference. So don't stop too soon. But do be sure to mix thoroughly. Often I get a dull pink and keep mixing and it goes back to grey.

Accuracy and consistency is the key to a troublefree pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

As James and Richard pointed out, keep swirling while adding the drops and don't stop counting drops until one more drop doesn't change the color. (this is where the Speed Stir really pays for itself )
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)