New Compupool Install - Bad water temp and salt ppm readings

May 8, 2011
Just installed the Compupool CPSC48 this week. The unit is working GREAT - FC at 2.5 and I'm only running at 50%.

My question regards the unit readings for water temperature and salt ppm. The temperature is showing 32 F. It is actually 75 in the pool.

The salt ppm reading shows 5100 ppm. Local lab, with recent calibration, shows 3850 ppm. Is there a way to calibrate the head unit?

It's not a great inconvenience, but it would be nice if it was more accurate.

BTW, this is my first post and I'm an SWG newbie. The reviews/advice/experience of this site's members convinced me to go forward with the SWG upgrade as well as the Compupool brand. I love watching the chlorine cloud come off the plates of this thing.

Thanks in advance for any insight on my questions.

Re: New Compupool Install - Bad water temp and salt ppm read

Just installed mine yesterday. My readings are off as well. Salt at 5000 and temp at 32 deg. Salt strips read consistantly at 3620 ppm and pool temp at @ 78 deg. I had read somewhere that the 2 interfere with each other. I guess its true.

It is alright if the readings are off right when you first hook everything up, but they should settle down to something more reasonable after a couple of hours. If they don't improve, check for a loose connection between the cell cable and the control unit.

Reset my connections to the cell and turned it on again. It went through its startup and reported salt at 4400 ppm and water temp at 80 degrees. The water temp. is good and the salt reading is more in line but still high. After a few hours I checked again and the salt reading dropped to 4100ppm and water temp went back to 32 degrees. Will go through the connections again tonight and see it it helps .

Went and checked all connections again. Every once in a while it would give temp at 84 deg and salt at 4400 ppm. Actual pool temp is 81 and I believe salt readings are high. salt strips say 3690 and TDS meter reads 3720. I dont know the relationship of the TDS vs salt readings but it seems very close to the strip readings. I'm inclined to believe it reads high on both when it reads close. When it doesn't I get salt at 5100ppm and temp. at 32 deg.

I spoke with Compupool customer service yesterday and they were eager and friendly to help. They emailed me the calibration instructions for their generators.

I have included it as an attachment. I haven't tried to calibrate yet, but will shortly.

Attachments

• SWG - Calibration_Instructions 0710.doc
    72.5 KB · Views: 648

Yesterday afternoon when I last checked I had the identical readings. I'm not sure a calibration is going to fix this. Other than this problem it seems to be working fine. After one week I am running at 30% and a FC of 5.5 which I will lower with a reduced pump time.

There is definitely a loose connection somewhere. If it isn't at the connector where the cell plugs into the control box then they should fix it under warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

kindred2k1
How did you make out with the calibration? Compupool sent me a replacement control board but this one gives me High salt error. Calibrated it with your settings will know in a day or so if the readings are stable. My polarity 1 and 2 settings are real high (+32 and +35 ) Emailed Customer support tonight and inquired if this is normal. Won't know untill Monday what is up.

First, let me apologize for my delayed reply.

The calibration instructions failed to improve the false readings. I contacted customer support on July 5 and again, they were helpful. According to their tech rep, the water temp has no bearing on the function of the SWG. However, the high salt reading is of concern as it affects the efficiency of the unit. They sent me a replacement LCD/PCB and it was delivered while I was on vacation last week. I installed the original LCD/PCB (green color) with the newly delivered LCD/PCB (blue color). It made no difference. But I now noticed something in the calibration instructions that looked odd.

The calibration setting numbers increase as the generator model's rating increases. Logic would indicate that the largest unit would have the largest calibration setting number. The pattern does increase (+16, +24, +27) until the largest unit SC48, where it drops to +6. I thought, BINGO, there is the problem, I've been calibrating using a +6, instead of something more reasonable for this biggest unit: +36.

I called Compupool again about the newest LCD/PCB not making a difference. He said a there has been a very low number of boards that were reprogrammed incorrectly. He is sending me the latest LCD/PCB. I asked about the calibration numbers, and he said that the instructions were correct. It was supposed to be a +6. I STARTED TO WONDER IF HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. So I experimented with the calibration settings. Remember, my unit was showing me 5000ppm and 32 degrees.

I started at a calibration number of +36 and instantly the ppm dropped to 2200ppm. So I gradually dropped the calibration until I stopped at +27. The water is reading 132 degrees (it's 90) and the ppm is showing 3600ppm (it's actually 3800ppm). I have repeatedly shut the unit off and forced it to check salt levels. It is now reading consistently at 3600ppm. I feel more comfortable with the unit now. Will wait and see what the latest LCD/PCB board will register when it arrives. I will try and post sooner than later! :)

kindred2k1 got your pm. Compupool also sent me a new pcb which was suppose to be calibrated at the factory before they sent it to me. I replaced it as soon as I got it and when turned on I got a salt reading of 7000 and a high salt fault light. Checked the settings with the calibration and found them to be +5 and Plus 6. Called customer service and reported my findings and was told to raise my numbers. I had to go to +35 and +29 to get my readings in the normal range. My temp. now reads 69 degrees all the time. The problem I found with the new board is that it would not keep the time. I re-installed my old board and re-calibrated it to the settings I had using the replacement board. The original pcb had settings in the mid twentys. No way is + 6 the normal settings unless there is something else in the power supply out of spec. It has been working just fine all month long with the old pcb and new calibration table. I have rigged up a digital thermometer to give me water temperature so the on board display is not a problem for me. Also noticed that when it switches from polarity 1 to polarity 2 I get an over current indicitation for about 10 seconds , customer support tells me not to be concerened.

I too have had all the same issues reported in this thread. I even went through the calibration process and they sent me out a new control board and display. The numbers are still never consistent, and almost never correct. It's frustrating to say the least.

That being said, I still test my water every week or so and set the output of the unit based on my test results. I don't really have it down to a science yet - more like winging it.

As for the salt content, I'm going to wait for my own testing to show anything lower than 3000 ppm before I add any salt.

Re: Compupool - Bad water temp and salt ppm readings

My unit is 1 1/2 years old and I have experienced all of these issues. The temp. reading has always been 69 and the salt reading has always been.2500 even though the pool supply store has shown a level of around 3200ppm. Tech support has assured me not to worry about these false readings as long as it was producing chlorine. As of today I get water fault/no water reading and both polarity lights are on and no chlorine is being produced. The terminals are tight and corrosion free. My call to customer support got no answer and no way to leave a message. I will try again tomorrow and if I don't get through I will try a recalibration. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

I have the same unit and I have had all the same problems here. Tried calibration 2 times. I have been trying to get a replacement control unit since june, but it still has not been mailed out and I left a message and it was not returned. My unit gives false salt and temp readings, but does produce chlorine. I did a lot of research about compupool and decided on the unit because of price and basically what I read here. So for anyone interested in Compupool don't count on the temp gauge or salt level gauge to work. I have a feeling most people that have this unit see the fault lights light up, but don't pay attention to them if the thing is producing chlorine. I really expect more from a company that has been in business since 1978. All that being said, first season with the SWG and the pool has been crystal clear and I only used 2 gallons of bleach all summer to raise FC with large swimming load. I'm really happy with the pool, but for the money you pay, there is an expectation that the unit will function as the description says.

I have been on the phone with Jason Thompson, tech help. I have been told that the unit might be faulty. I was sent a warranty claim form and was told that upon receipt of that plus photos of the unit I would be sent a Fedx shipping voucher with which to return the unit after a 7-10 business day processing time. I will keep the forum informed as to the progress.

Good luck with the warranty.

I purchased a new CPSC48 and it showed up dead.

After over a month I got a replacement control unit sent to me.

The thing looked like it was used and mounted outside for at least a year.
The grounding lug was even mangled and stripped to add an extra jab my way.

I was so sick and tired of waiting for the replacement and adding chlorine manually, that I had it installed anyway.

It worked for 2 hours.

The unit got hot as heck and then started to smell like it was burning up.

Now it is dead.
Tried the breaker. Nothing.

Dead.

Miserable experience with this discontinued product.

When it works it works well, other wise it's a different story. I've always had good service with customer support. On the third unit, they replaced the cell and power supply. It's working but getting a high salt indication. They updated the software to get rid of temp and salt measurement display. Now it states salt ok.

I use to strongly recommend the unit, and for the price it is a good deal, but now I recommend with caution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.