Water Looks perfect, but....

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
My water looks perfect and my test results come back within the acceptable ranges.

However when I get out of the water my skin feels pretty dry especially the skin on my face. I feel like if I look in the mirror I'm going to have the same problem as Joan Rivers.

What causes this?

Is there any way to avoid this with the BBB method?

Easto said:
My water looks perfect and my test results come back within the acceptable ranges.

However when I get out of the water my skin feels pretty dry especially the skin on my face. I feel like if I look in the mirror I'm going to have the same problem as Joan Rivers.

What causes this?

Is there any way to avoid this with the BBB method?

Last year I added borates at 40ppm and salt to 2000ppm and it felt great on my skin, I was tempted to jump in after showering rather than the reverse.

maxepr1 said:
Andrew, 2000 seems low. Does your salt cell work at that level?

He may not have a SWCG. Some people add salt to improve the feel of the water alone.

True, salt and borates are a surefire way to make the water feel silky, but I want to make sure that there isn't a correctable condition that exists first.

257WbyMag said:
maxepr1 said:
Andrew, 2000 seems low. Does your salt cell work at that level?

He may not have a SWCG. Some people add salt to improve the feel of the water alone.

True, salt and borates are a surefire way to make the water feel silky, but I want to make sure that there isn't a correctable condition that exists first.
Oops! Sorry Mod!

Looks great! :goodjob:

So, like Andrew mentioned earlier, you can add 50 ppm of borates to the pool and get a very silky feeling with the water that way. You can also add some salt also for sort of the same effect. From personal experience, I did at one time, have borates in my pool. It certainly does change the way the water feels.

So should I add borates or should I add salt or should I add both?

Is borates a one time shot, like CYA? Add it once and that's your level until pool water is replaced, or do I need to add on a consistent basis?

I don't have a SWCG, so how much salt would you add to my pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many people here are wild about borates now that they have tried them, but they are certainly not required. Borates are like CYA, you only lose them to splash out, backwashing, and other forms of water replacement.

To try salt in a non-SWG pool, raise the salt level to around 2000. Remember that the salt level will not start at zero, so get a starting number before adding salt.

Jason, are you suggesting that I do salt instead of borates?

My ph and TA are in check so I am going to assume that adding borax and muriatic acid isn't going to be a big deal other than trying to find 15 boxes of borax.

Or should I just do both?

Should I take a water sample to the pool store to have the salt level checked?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.