Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Looks perfect, but....

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Looks perfect, but....

My water looks perfect and my test results come back within the acceptable ranges.

However when I get out of the water my skin feels pretty dry especially the skin on my face. I feel like if I look in the mirror I'm going to have the same problem as Joan Rivers.

What causes this?

Is there any way to avoid this with the BBB method?
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Looks perfect, but....

Go ahead and post your test results and we will take a look at what may be going on.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Easto
    My water looks perfect and my test results come back within the acceptable ranges.

However when I get out of the water my skin feels pretty dry especially the skin on my face. I feel like if I look in the mirror I'm going to have the same problem as Joan Rivers.

What causes this?

Is there any way to avoid this with the BBB method?
    Last year I added borates at 40ppm and salt to 2000ppm and it felt great on my skin, I was tempted to jump in after showering rather than the reverse.
    20k gallon free form plaster pool with a spill over spa, sand filter, Master Pools in floor cleaner, Jandy PDA and Jandy Lite2 natural gas heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Andrew, 2000 seems low. Does your salt cell work at that level?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    He may not have a SWCG. Some people add salt to improve the feel of the water alone.

True, salt and borates are a surefire way to make the water feel silky, but I want to make sure that there isn't a correctable condition that exists first.

6. Back To Top    #6

Test Results:
    FC - 6
    CC - 0
    TC - 6
    TA - 90
    CH - 120
    CYA - 40
    pH - 7.2
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    He may not have a SWCG. Some people add salt to improve the feel of the water alone.

True, salt and borates are a surefire way to make the water feel silky, but I want to make sure that there isn't a correctable condition that exists first.
    Oops! Sorry Mod!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks great!

So, like Andrew mentioned earlier, you can add 50 ppm of borates to the pool and get a very silky feeling with the water that way. You can also add some salt also for sort of the same effect. From personal experience, I did at one time, have borates in my pool. It certainly does change the way the water feels.

9. Back To Top    #9

Oops! Sorry Mod!
    LOL! No problem. It's ok!

10. Back To Top    #10

So should I add borates or should I add salt or should I add both?

Is borates a one time shot, like CYA? Add it once and that's your level until pool water is replaced, or do I need to add on a consistent basis?

I don't have a SWCG, so how much salt would you add to my pool?

11. Back To Top    #11

33.7kg of Borax - 15.5 boxes
    16.7L of Muriatic Acid 31.45%

Seems like an expense adventure

12. Back To Top    #12

Many people here are wild about borates now that they have tried them, but they are certainly not required. Borates are like CYA, you only lose them to splash out, backwashing, and other forms of water replacement.

To try salt in a non-SWG pool, raise the salt level to around 2000. Remember that the salt level will not start at zero, so get a starting number before adding salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Jason, are you suggesting that I do salt instead of borates?

My ph and TA are in check so I am going to assume that adding borax and muriatic acid isn't going to be a big deal other than trying to find 15 boxes of borax.

Or should I just do both?

Should I take a water sample to the pool store to have the salt level checked?

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm wasn't specifically suggesting either one, just trying to answer your implied questions as I saw them

I do recommend doing both, but you can do both, either, or neither as you please.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

So to test the salt level can I just take a sample to the pool store?

And I am going to pick up some borax and acid later this week.