NEW opening algae is AWFUL!!!

Jun 3, 2011
Ok....here is my setup I have a 30x 52 round that essentially has 21,200 gallons of water. This is the pools second season. I live in Mississippi. I did NOT (i am an idiot) cover the pool this winter. When opening the pool this year I have drained it as low as possible and dipped out the leaves and algae that I could. I have been battling for a week and a half with green water. We backwash as much as possible without sitting out there with the pool. I have a sand filter and this is an above ground vinyl liner pool!

I just tested the pool and here are the results.

FRom a 3 way kit with the OTO and phenol drops I got these results:
CL--off the chart
BR--off the chart
pH--7.2

From a 6 way strip kit these are the results:
total hardness----low---100
total chlorine ----high---10
bromine--------very high----20
total alkalinity----ok low-----120
stabilizer----low off charts----< 0
pH----looks low on this strip ---6.8

Now I have been hitting this pool HARD with chlorine. I have 7 more 1.5 gallon jugs to put in it tonight.
I still can only see the bottom on the very edges. Green and cloudy! I am tired....ugh!!!

WHAT THE HECK DO I DO!???

:?: :?: :?: :rant: :rant:

Lisa

How long have you been working on it? It can take several days to go through the shock process.

You really need to get a FAS chlorine test kit so you can accurately measure your FC level. Otherwise you are shooting in the dark as to whether or not you are at shock level, and you'll have no way to perform an overnight FC loss test.

I'm guessing 10 is as high as your strips go. Shock level is going to be above 10. That's where you will run into trouble. You've got to get to shock level and hold it there until you can pass the shock finish tests.

Here's the link on how to go through the shock process. If you haven't read through it, check it out!
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Should help a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.