Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TC AND FC----TEST STRIPS

1. Back To Top    #1

TC AND FC----TEST STRIPS

As of today i only have test strips to check my cl, i plan to order the test kit recommended. So should the fc be equal to the tc on the strip. these are the only 2 on the strip. the test shows my fc is greater than the tc. i know this is terrible info,but any help today would be a blessing. THANKS.
    20X40 IG,33,000 GAL,VINYL LINER,1 HP PUMP,HAYWARD SAND FILTER,CAMDEN,S.C.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TC AND FC----TEST STRIPS

My suggestion is to get a quality test kit. Take control of your pool and the H2O contained within. You have the ability...aloha!
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

It isn't possible for FC to be greater than TC.

FC+CC=TC
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

You can head to Walmart and get a 5way kit that at least uses a drop test for chlorine till the "good" one comes in.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

robbie,the test strip fc is dark purple and the tc is very light blue. according to the numbers above the color,the fc is high for dark purple and lower for tc. fc # is a 10,tc # is 3. this is an aqua chem 6 way test strips. am i in danger to swim in this water.
    20X40 IG,33,000 GAL,VINYL LINER,1 HP PUMP,HAYWARD SAND FILTER,CAMDEN,S.C.

6. Back To Top    #6

It is impossible for the FC to be higher than the TC. This is just one reason why using test steps is bogus. Without knowing an accurate Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level we can't tell you if it is safe to swim -- with no CYA it would not be safe, with a higher CYA it would probably be fine. Of course, that assumes we could trust the FC reading at all, which we really can't. See this post for a comparison of the resolution of test strips vs the two drop-based tests we recommend on this forum.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"