Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What effect does lots of rain have on chemical balance?

1. Back To Top    #1

What effect does lots of rain have on chemical balance?

Heavy rain today and pool has risen a couple of inches. I have been testing daily until I can get everything stabilized but just curious, will this affect my numbers?
    24.5k gallon
    Sand filter (Triton II TR 100)
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What effect does lots of rain have on chemical balance?

The biggest thing that rain does is add organics to the pool water, making it easier to develop algae. A couple of inches of water in the form of rain doesn't have much of an effect on other stuff. From a dilution standpoint, it wouldn't enough to effect much of a change on things like CYA, CH, and stuff.

3. Back To Top    #3

They should all be diluted equally. That much rain could require an extra shot of chlorine though.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

You can answer your own question via daily testing. You 'need' to know how your pool fluctuates. With daily testing you will have great control over your pool and the knowledge of what to add to the water and more importantly...why!. Swim in clean and clear water!!

I was stationed in Hawaii for a few years, so I am jealous of your weather. Enjoy your pool and the surf!

Alobha!
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

When it rains really heavy, you may see a pH increase due to the aeration.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    The biggest thing that rain does is add organics to the pool water, making it easier to develop algae. A couple of inches of water in the form of rain doesn't have much of an effect on other stuff. From a dilution standpoint, it wouldn't enough to effect much of a change on things like CYA, CH, and stuff.
    Organics? In what form? Organics (my understanding) are some form of decaying life... (something about stepping into a poodle almost fits here).

I have read that Rain will bring Nitrogen it gathers from the air as it falls through it into the pool (IPSSA Water Chemistry Manual - although I'm somewhat skeptical about it gathering a measurable amount).

I do know that the largest effect rain has is on dilution. We got really abnormal rains this winter and the average dilution was 35-40% (based on fall/spring Bo and CYA measurements).
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

7. Back To Top    #7

The IPSSA is wrong. Yes, the water will contain dissolved gasses, but in no higher concentration than would be found in pool water exposed to air anyway. As for organics, that all depends on whether the rain is sweeping through pollen or other airborne contaminants. Usually, rain just aerates the water, but some people do find an increased chlorine demand.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Funny you should say that, we had thunderstorms the last 2 days in the afternoon and I was also cutting back the long wild grass in the field. I could SEE clouds of pollen being released from the grasses and sure enough I had a 3.5 ppm loss of FC in 24 hours, which is higher than normal.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

9. Back To Top    #9

Got to say...you guys and this forum are great. You get the most thorough, no BS, quick responses from here than any other forum I've seen. I feel very secure in taking your recommendations. You have given me a lot of confidence in taking on this new responsibility.

Thanks.
    24.5k gallon
    Sand filter (Triton II TR 100)
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa