I just found this website

Jun 2, 2011
Hi,

I just found this website. I have an above ground pool 18 x 33 x 5 and it was green when I started the pump at start-up for the season. I have put so much chlorine in it and it is now cloudy and hazy. My numbers are all good except I don't know what "shock level" is for the chlorine. I have vacuumed it twice, back washed my filter everyday sometimes 2 x's a day. We opened it on Tuesday, May 31st. I have brushed everything everyday ( my steps are not in yet because it is too cold to get in). How do I get it crystal clear again? I have never had this much trouble before? We have had the pool for 6 years.
Thanks
Janet

Welcome to TFP Janet! :wave:

Can you post a set of test results for your pool? We need FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA.

Have you started reading Pool School?

You have no CYA so your FC is lost to the sun almost as fast as you can add it. I would suggest adding enough CYA to get you to 30 ppm. Then, add enough bleach to raise the FC to 12 and hold it there until your CC is < 0.5, you hold your FC to within 1 ppm or less of loss overnight, and your water clears up. Run the pump throughout the entire process. Do your best (test often) to keep that FC at 12 ppm.

This process will be difficult without a high quality test kit so I would suggest going to http://www.tftestkits.net and getting a TF-100 kit ASAP.

The better you are about keeping your FC up, the sooner you will fix the problem.

Read this link: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

jksmom6 said:
what do you add for CYA?

CYA stands for cyanuric acid. It is commonly sold as "stabilizer". It comes in powder form or liquid form. CYA is a chemical that protects the chlorine in your water from the sun's UV rays. Sunlight burns off chlorine in pool water. WIthout CYA in the water, you can lose all of your chlorine in a matter of mintues to hours, leaving your pool unsanitized and open to algae or pathogen growth.

Once you have read Pool School, much of this will make more sense. I would suggest reading the section on pool water chemistry here: category.php?c=pool_chemistry fairly quickly.

You can buy CYA at most any place that sells pool chemicals. You will need to read the ingredients on the labels, rather than the brand name. Look for cyanuric acid. There is a liquid version (very expensive but faster to dissolve) and a powder version that is cheaper, but takes days to dissolve. Get the powder kind. You will need 8 pounds to start.

The fact that your pool has gone from green to hazy is a good thing. You mustn't let up though. Keep shocking until...

1.) Your CC is 0.5 or less
2.) You lose no more than 1 ppm of your FC overnight
3. Your water is no longer green

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Flotsam said:
You're getting there. Keep on it.

Unfortunately you'll need to go to a local pool store for CYA. I haven't seen it at walmart ... sometimes you can find it at ACE hardware or the other big box stores. HTH :mrgreen:

I read here before that CYA is sold at wallymart labeled as "Conditioner". I've been meaning to look for it there ever since but haven't gotten to yet.

Yep, got some there last week. HTH brand CYA in the white container with the purple top. It is a 4 lb. container I believe and the ingredients say that it is 96% CYA.

The directions say to broadcast over the water, is there a better way of doing it?
It's fairly acidic and not very good for a vinyl lined pool to have it sitting on the bottom for any length of time.

Easiest way is to put it in the skimmer and let it get sucked into the filter. Drawback is you cannot backwash for one week after doing so......whatever CYA hasn't dissolved will get washed out and wasted. (PS - you have been backwashing too much. Only do so if you experience a pressure rise of about 30% or more.)

Best way is to put it into an old sock, tie up the end of the sock and put the sock in the skimmer. Run your pump 24/7

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.