TA 240plus, i cant get Fc to register

bpeunic

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Niagara Falls, NY
Newbie Here in need of help!

Opened Pool and cant get FC to go up at all, I used pool opening kit and 5 jugs of shock and still no FC it is at zero.

I have added a gallon of 31% muratic acid to try and bring down TA

I want to use bbb method but cant seem to get levels correct
I used Aquachek strip, PH= 7.4, FC-=0, TA blue 240+, Stablizer=40-50.

running filter canstantly. I had major algea problems all last year and went through a ton of chlorine.
any ideas?

Welcome to TFP!

Don't worry about your TA for now. You need to shock your pool.

It's important to know that shock is a process, rather than a product. This article should help...

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

I would also like for you to consider purchasing a high quality test kit. Test strips are of little value when maintaining a pool. Please go to www.tftestkits.net and purchase either a TF-100 (best) or a Taylor K-2006 (good). A good test kit will save you lots of problems and $$$$ down the road.

One of the reason you cant get your number straight is because of the test strips. They are highly inacurate. I would suggest you get a good test kit like the Taylor k-2006 or the TF-100 that is recommended on this forum. Link is in my sig.

Post a set of good numbers.

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

:cheers:

I may as well make it a triple play: you need your own test kit. A proper test kit.

With that, the articles in Pool School, and us holding your hand, you can tame that pool and keep it sparkling the rest of the summer. Imagine, you may never have to shock again! Remember the saying, "Knowledge is Power." A good test kit gives you that power.

ok gang, i dont have the good kit, still only the pads, i am ordering new on monday.

ph=7.2
fc= 0
ta=200
cya 50

i dont have the other measurements on my strip.

I added 1.5 gallons of 6% clorox bleach, 7lb of granular chlorine shock and still FC reads zero. I tested strip with sample water with the same chlorine I have been adding to pool and it worked. I am at my wits end.

No matter how much chlorine I add, the FC will not go up.

pool is clear, filter is great, what could possibly not allow the FC to go up at all? i even tested ar 10miutes after dumping all that chlorine in and nothing.

any ideas?

ok test results
FC= 0
CC= 3
PH=7.4
TA=180
CH=total hardness=400-500
CYA=90

Ok wife spoke to local pool store ( i know dont shoot the messenger) the said the only way to have FC register is to lower CC.05 and the only way to do it is with Shock Oxidizer, to lower CC.

Pool is clear after I took the advice from this board and shocked pool, but still strugling to get FC to register, Awaiting my tc100 which has shipped today. It is sunny here in Western NY and highs of 80 degrees and sunny all week and i am afraid of algae with no FC

any thoughts

Read How to Shock your Pool again in the Pool School. Shocking is a process, not a one-time affair. It's going to take a while to get your FC to be stable. With CC of 3, I am betting you need to make chlorine additions by the hour.

I am guessing you don't have a salt water pool, that CYA level is getting pretty high. If you are using trichlor pucks, stop now.

Careful with pool store advice, their products are generally overpriced and can add stuff to your pool you don't want. That's likely how your CYA got to 90.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Granular chlorine shock products can contain CYA and compound your problem.

If your CYA is really 90 you need to do a partial drain and refill or you will have a very difficult time achieving and then maintaining a clear pool. Target 50 for your CYA level.

Its possible when you opened you had an ammonia situation and that's why you are having trouble getting the FC to register. The high CC is one indicator of that.

hello and thank you for those who had replied. I received my Uber TF-100 kit. If feel like i should get a Chemists white smock..cool stuff

so here are the results;
FC=2
CC=3
TC=5
PH=7.0
TA=240
CH=390
CYA=80
temp=79 degrees

OK so what have I done, I shocked the living heck out of the beast using liquid Chlorine(hypo 12.5).
Replaced 1/3 of the water ( like slow torture).
Adopted the BBB method and Borax-ed (20 mule verison) to the prescribed Pool calc settings, so it should be at 50 ppm but i have no test kits for this (any suggestions on where I can source one)

Still finding it hard to maintain FC levels, do i just keep adding the Liquid Chlorine hourly?

Pool looks awesome , sparkling and clear

thank you fellow forum memebers, I am a true believer and follower.

finally after much Liquid Chlorine, the FC is holding and above the cc rate for the first time in a long time.

last year we went through so much chlorine and that darn algae, I will win this year!

so for all you folks who cant Keep and hold your FC, just keep adding the 12.5% ( for convenience over 6%)
until it holds. this has taken me over a week to accomplish, and yes I went though many gallons of the stuff.

I will also do a weekly Polyquat program for maintenance.

And all you sceptics...read the pool school

I did the Borax ( awaiting my test strips from Duraleigh) and it looks fabulous, all my neighbors are now following the program!

thanks again

bpeunic said:
I will also do a weekly Polyquat program for maintenance.
This isn't necessary if you maintain the proper FC relative to CYA. You've also got borates in the water and that provides some insurance. You can certainly use the PolyQuat if you want to, but it's not necessary unless you've got too high a CYA and can't or don't want to maintain a proper FC level.

Thanks for the advice Chem Geek,

My CYA is between 90-100, and I am not going to drain anynore than I have, but ride it out for the summer.

I am just afraid of algae, thus the additional Polyquat insurance, and I am paranoid, as we had 2 seasons of nothing but trouble and pool store BS.

Off topic

bpeunic said:
I received my Uber TF-100 kit. If feel like i should get a Chemists white smock..cool stuff

I would love to have a chemist smock with a TFP logo patch on it. THAT would protect my good clothes from that micro splash of bleach or acid that has ruined some of my favorite things.

Please please please? At least sell me a patch that I can put on a smock myself!

Amen,

My wife and I have both spotted our color clothes with the liquid, to quote my 87 year old mother, "Be more carefull and pour slowly"

By the way, When I told her I have Borax in the pool she says, I remeber washing with that back in the day!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.