Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA 240plus, i cant get Fc to register

1. Back To Top    #1

TA 240plus, i cant get Fc to register

Newbie Here in need of help!

Opened Pool and cant get FC to go up at all, I used pool opening kit and 5 jugs of shock and still no FC it is at zero.

I have added a gallon of 31% muratic acid to try and bring down TA

I want to use bbb method but cant seem to get levels correct
    I used Aquachek strip, PH= 7.4, FC-=0, TA blue 240+, Stablizer=40-50.

running filter canstantly. I had major algea problems all last year and went through a ton of chlorine.
    any ideas?
    Brian
    22,000 gallon in ground Gunite pool(Beauty Pool, 22 yrs old)) with built in hot tub,
    Hayward DE75 Filer and Pump, Haywood Heater, AutoMatic pool timer, BBB Method folower.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA 240plus, i cant get Fc to register

Welcome to TFP!

Don't worry about your TA for now. You need to shock your pool.

It's important to know that shock is a process, rather than a product. This article should help...

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

I would also like for you to consider purchasing a high quality test kit. Test strips are of little value when maintaining a pool. Please go to www.tftestkits.net and purchase either a TF-100 (best) or a Taylor K-2006 (good). A good test kit will save you lots of problems and $$$$ down the road.

3. Back To Top    #3

One of the reason you cant get your number straight is because of the test strips. They are highly inacurate. I would suggest you get a good test kit like the Taylor k-2006 or the TF-100 that is recommended on this forum. Link is in my sig.

Post a set of good numbers.

FC
    CC
    PH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

4. Back To Top    #4

I may as well make it a triple play: you need your own test kit. A proper test kit.

With that, the articles in Pool School, and us holding your hand, you can tame that pool and keep it sparkling the rest of the summer. Imagine, you may never have to shock again! Remember the saying, "Knowledge is Power." A good test kit gives you that power.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you all for your replies, i am shocking it now. I will report the results

brian
    Brian
    22,000 gallon in ground Gunite pool(Beauty Pool, 22 yrs old)) with built in hot tub,
    Hayward DE75 Filer and Pump, Haywood Heater, AutoMatic pool timer, BBB Method folower.

6. Back To Top    #6

ok gang, i dont have the good kit, still only the pads, i am ordering new on monday.

ph=7.2
    fc= 0
    ta=200
    cya 50

i dont have the other measurements on my strip.

I added 1.5 gallons of 6% clorox bleach, 7lb of granular chlorine shock and still FC reads zero. I tested strip with sample water with the same chlorine I have been adding to pool and it worked. I am at my wits end.

No matter how much chlorine I add, the FC will not go up.

pool is clear, filter is great, what could possibly not allow the FC to go up at all? i even tested ar 10miutes after dumping all that chlorine in and nothing.

any ideas?
    Brian

7. Back To Top    #7

My suspicion is that your FC is high enough that it is bleaching out the test strip results. A limitation of the test strips.

8. Back To Top    #8

tf-100 xl test kit just ordered...
    Brian

9. Back To Top    #9

ok test results
    FC= 0
    CC= 3
    PH=7.4
    TA=180
    CH=total hardness=400-500
    CYA=90

Ok wife spoke to local pool store ( i know dont shoot the messenger) the said the only way to have FC register is to lower CC.05 and the only way to do it is with Shock Oxidizer, to lower CC.

Pool is clear after I took the advice from this board and shocked pool, but still strugling to get FC to register, Awaiting my tc100 which has shipped today. It is sunny here in Western NY and highs of 80 degrees and sunny all week and i am afraid of algae with no FC

any thoughts
    Brian

10. Back To Top    #10

Read How to Shock your Pool again in the Pool School. Shocking is a process, not a one-time affair. It's going to take a while to get your FC to be stable. With CC of 3, I am betting you need to make chlorine additions by the hour.

I am guessing you don't have a salt water pool, that CYA level is getting pretty high. If you are using trichlor pucks, stop now.

Careful with pool store advice, their products are generally overpriced and can add stuff to your pool you don't want. That's likely how your CYA got to 90.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Granular chlorine shock products can contain CYA and compound your problem.

If your CYA is really 90 you need to do a partial drain and refill or you will have a very difficult time achieving and then maintaining a clear pool. Target 50 for your CYA level.

Its possible when you opened you had an ammonia situation and that's why you are having trouble getting the FC to register. The high CC is one indicator of that.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

hello and thank you for those who had replied. I received my Uber TF-100 kit. If feel like i should get a Chemists white smock..cool stuff

so here are the results;
    FC=2
    CC=3
    TC=5
    PH=7.0
    TA=240
    CH=390
    CYA=80
    temp=79 degrees

OK so what have I done, I shocked the living **** out of the beast using liquid Chlorine(hypo 12.5).
    Replaced 1/3 of the water ( like slow torture).
    Adopted the BBB method and Borax-ed (20 mule verison) to the prescribed Pool calc settings, so it should be at 50 ppm but i have no test kits for this (any suggestions on where I can source one)

Still finding it hard to maintain FC levels, do i just keep adding the Liquid Chlorine hourly?

Pool looks awesome , sparkling and clear
    Brian

13. Back To Top    #13

You need to hold it at shock level until you've passed the OCLT. See my sig for that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

thank you fellow forum memebers, I am a true believer and follower.

finally after much Liquid Chlorine, the FC is holding and above the cc rate for the first time in a long time.

last year we went through so much chlorine and that darn algae, I will win this year!

so for all you folks who cant Keep and hold your FC, just keep adding the 12.5% ( for convenience over 6%)
    until it holds. this has taken me over a week to accomplish, and yes I went though many gallons of the stuff.

I will also do a weekly Polyquat program for maintenance.

And all you sceptics...read the pool school

I did the Borax ( awaiting my test strips from Duraleigh) and it looks fabulous, all my neighbors are now following the program!

thanks again
    Brian

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by bpeunic
    I will also do a weekly Polyquat program for maintenance.
    This isn't necessary if you maintain the proper FC relative to CYA. You've also got borates in the water and that provides some insurance. You can certainly use the PolyQuat if you want to, but it's not necessary unless you've got too high a CYA and can't or don't want to maintain a proper FC level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the advice Chem Geek,

My CYA is between 90-100, and I am not going to drain anynore than I have, but ride it out for the summer.

I am just afraid of algae, thus the additional Polyquat insurance, and I am paranoid, as we had 2 seasons of nothing but trouble and pool store BS.
    Brian

17. Back To Top    #17

Off topic

Quote Originally Posted by bpeunic
    I received my Uber TF-100 kit. If feel like i should get a Chemists white smock..cool stuff
    I would love to have a chemist smock with a TFP logo patch on it. THAT would protect my good clothes from that micro splash of bleach or acid that has ruined some of my favorite things.

Please please please? At least sell me a patch that I can put on a smock myself!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

18. Back To Top    #18

Amen,

My wife and I have both spotted our color clothes with the liquid, to quote my 87 year old mother, "Be more carefull and pour slowly"

By the way, When I told her I have Borax in the pool she says, I remeber washing with that back in the day!
    Brian